The Ramsden World Tour

Time flies when you’re about to leave your life as you know it and move across the world. 6 more weekends! That’s not much time left in California!!

sad
 Sad.

I thought it was a good time to do a quick update on our plans to move back to the UK and our plans for the summer. Our initial intention was to leave the Bay Area at the start of June but alas things changed and now we fly out on May 2nd!

We’re also deep into planning because we’re going to be travelling the whole summer. Nearly four months! This has taken a while for me to get my head around – I don’t love change (understatement) and I would secretly rather go straight back to the UK and start our life there immediately. But the Husband persuaded me that this is the chance of a lifetime to travel. I know he’s right so I’m trusting his instincts!

So this is our plan.

Australia – We leave the Bay Area and fly straight to Sydney, where we’ll be joined by the Giant, the Husband’s son who lives in the UK. He’ll be with us the whole summer, which is wonderful. We’ll be exploring the Blue Mountains, driving to Melbourne, flying to Brisbane and doing some snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef before returning to Sydney for the last few days. In all honestly, I am totally freaked out by the spiders I’ve been checking out on google. I hate to be chicken but this part of the trip is making me very nervous so if you have spider-free Australian stories to tell me, PLEASE drop me an email.

IMG_1368

Hawaii – From Sydney, we fly to gorgeous Hawaii where we have a week on Oahu and a week on the Big Island. Realistically we will never come back to Hawaii and it’s one of my happiest places, so I’m very very excited about this.

Hawaii beach family kailua
Oahu 2013. When the Dude was small and adorable

Road Trip – We’ll then be back in the US on tourist visas (please, ‘merica) and we plan to drive across the country for a few months. We’ll head east via Vegas, some Utah National Parks, check out the Bay Area’s polar opposite, Texas, sing Sweet Home Alabama in situ, visit friends in Georgia and Virginia, have the time of our lives at Kellermans’, spend time in wonderful DC, see Niagara and explore New England before finishing up in NYC in August.

img_3730
DC will have slightly less sparkle under its new ownership

Canada – We fly out of NYC and head to Montreal for a few days. Cannot wait to speak French again.

Iceland – From Montreal, we fly to Reykjavik for five days. I am VERY excited about Iceland and am planning to meet up with Halla and run with her. We arrive in Reykjavik at 4.30am on the day of the marathon – I’m hoping to run the 10k.

iceland  mt esja
Running in Iceland – read all the details here

UK – Then we land in the UK’s armpit, Luton, towards the end of August. We will be  enveloped in our families’ warm embrace and I will be tearfully reunited with my beloved ginger cat who will spend the summer with his grandparents. And THEN we need to start building our new lives.

So that’s the plan! Okay…what do you know? Where have you been? Where should we stay? What should we do?  Give me your advice!! If you have spider stories, keep them to yourself!

Especially keen on strategies to avoid spiders.

1. dlubi says:

Your world tour sounds amazing!!! So excited for you all!

Please don’t fear the Aussie spiders!!! That country is incredible and you will have a fantastic visit there! I lived in Brisbane for a year (& traveled / did some field work) and never had bad encounter with the wildlife anywhere. I will write you an email with more info / tips and put you in contact with some friends there too.

Big cheers for your world tour!!!

Thanks! I should be beside myself with excitement about this trip but the combination of moving away and giant spiders is making me very apprehensive and I feel guilty about that. I’d welcome your tips. We’ll be in the Brizzie area for a while so that would be great!

2. Laura says:

Wow, I’m so jealous of these travel plans! I hope you continue to blog about it so I can live vicariously through you!

Thanks! I’m definitely planning to blog about it!

3. bt says:

OH, this is going to be amazing for you all! Congrats on taking the time to do it. US road trip advice would be to research your veggie/fish food needs *before* deciding on which random towns to stay in. Small American towns on our road trip were repetitions of pizza and burgers unless we went out of our way to find alternatives.

Good advice, thanks. Yes we’ve talked about setting basic ground rules for eating (like veggies at every meal, fries every couple of days etc) so it doesn’t become a giant fat-fest which is great fun for a week but not great for four months. If you gave any road-trip tips, it would be a great blog post for your readers…
      (hint hint)

I’m very sad to see you go, but excited to follow your adventures and live vicariously through you!

Sounds like an amazing summer! I can’t believe it is happening so soon. Time flies! Can’t wait to read about all your adventures!

Oh and am insanely jealous of Iceland bit. Number one on my bucket list right now!

Yeah, somewhat weirdly that’s the bit I’m most excited about. (No spiders)

We wondered if we could pop in and see you guys…we’re diverting to visit Crested Butte and Colorado Springs….get Max ready for snuggles…

This part of your travels is most excellent!!!!

6. NicJ says:

It’s going to be AMAAAAAAAZING!!! What a trip! And what an educational opportunity as well – so much to see and learn!
    Think you’ll love Montreal – I definitely did. Be interested to know what you make of Quebequois (think that’s how you spell it). On chatting to a couple of Brittany teachers I met, apparently it is a bit like Chaucer’s English! Xx

It IS a good educational opportunity…those poor boys 🙂 Excited for Montreal and ye olde frenche

7. Amy says:

So excited to see your trip! That’s a whole lot of world to see. Let me know if New Mexico makes it on your list of stops (depending, you may have to drive through to get to Texas).

Thanks! We may come that way, we may go through CO but I’ll def let you know if we’re near you!

8. Mark says:

Luton Airport is (now) a whole lot better than some of the ones in the US. Stansted might be the worst in the world (my nearest).

Really? Last time I was there (15 years ago?) it was literally a shed. Thanks for cheering me up a little!