HAPPY NEW YEAR, PEOPLE!!!!
One thing that I learned when reviewing my 2015 running goals, race plans and general life resolutions was that I hadn’t achieved many of them. Whilst I love setting goals, I decided I needed to be a bit more realistic.
One thing that struck me was that it’s almost impossible to set goals for the WHOLE year. Really, who has any idea what will happen today, let alone be able to predict 365 days? So I decided to split the year into quarters and set quarterly goals instead, whilst having an overarching plan for the year.
If you don’t read Erin’s blog, you honestly have to – she’s a wonderful writer, a speedy runner and has great hair! Anyway,Erin came up with the most wonderful motto for the year which I just loved and am going to steal for 2016. Her NY Resolution is simply to ‘Go Forth and Kick Ass‘. I’m totally stealing it for 2016 because I can’t say it any better – therefore, in British-speak, my 2016 goal is to Go Forth And Kick Arse!!
This is how I plan to do it.
The Big Plan (Jan – Dec)
The Husband has signed up for Ironman Vineman at the end of July. I know from experience that realistically I won’t have loads of time to train. Long runs will be difficult to fit in. As such, I’m not going to be training for a half-marathon at all during that period. Instead I’m going to be working on the 5k and the 10k. My goals are to finally go sub-25 for the 5k and sub-50 for the 10k. I’m 16 seconds away from my 5k goal but a good minute or so away from my 10k goal. I’m REALLY excited about this. I’m also hoping to run trails with the girls once a month as well! Know any good babysitters?
Once #ironballz is crowned a second time, I’m planning to focus hard on the Half Marathon and am planning to (going to) PR in the Autumn!
In addition to the above, I’d like to cycle round Lake Tahoe in the Summer. It’s 76-odd miles at altitude but I’m hoping to do it with the Husband (and anyone else who fancies it???) in June or July.
And in non-running, I want to deepen my knowledge of classical music. I’m going to focus on one composer every month and listen to as much of his stuff as possible.
Quarter One Goals
So for Jan – March, these are my goals.
- Get a 5k PR of sub-25 minutes, with the Oakland 5k on March 20th as my goal race.
- Start my next Early Childhood Education course – ‘practicum’ which is the teaching practice part. I’ve got a great placement lined up and I am ready to rock it. It starts in February and ends in June. I absolutely want an ‘A’ so that’s my success criteria.
- Work on my abs. I read an article about how people who do abs work 4 x weekly can cut minutes of their 5k times! A new PR and some abs? I’ll try that. Success would be being confident to run a race in March in just a sports bra.
- Cut back on my iPhone usage. (ANYONE GOT ANY TIPS?).
- Run the Post-Oak Challenge with Jess, Kate and Jen in Oklahoma. 15 hilly miles. This would be my longest run for years and years and years
- Listen to: Jan – Mozart. Feb – Beethoven. March – Tchaikovsky. (If you love any of these guys’ music, please let me know what to listen to).
- Read my Bible every day. Because I’ve been slacking lately.
As an incentive, if I do all of those things, I get a prize! Like a preschooler.
So those are my Quarter One goals. I LOVE the idea of shorter-term goals. I’m super excited about starting them. Here we go!