My 2015 NY Resolutions…

When I reread my 2015 resolutions, I half-sniggered into my cup of tea and half-hung my tail between my legs. Let’s just say I didn’t exactly rock those resolutions.

Here we go…

Resolutions I succeeded at.

1. Qualify as a preschool teacher

This was my big goal for 2015 and I totally did it. I am now qualified as a preschool teacher I’ve done 15 credits’ worth and in 2016 I’ll be working towards the 24 credits I need to gain the California certificate. I’ve spent as much time as I could volunteering in the classroom and actually taught summer school at a local preschool. I set myself the goal of graduating from my classes at the top – it turns out that they don’t tell you who came top but I did get A’s for all my courses so I’ll take that.  This brand-new career is the most exciting thing that has happened to me since I had the Dude – I am so grateful that I’m FINALLY in the career I should have gone into 20 years ago . An absolute triumph and delight.

2. Run in 5 exciting new places

Check! How about Maui, the Grand Tetons, Red Rock Canyon, Big Basin and Seattle.

Red_Rock_Canyon_road_sign

3. Do a 100-mile bike ride

Done! This took up most of my summer’s training. But yep – me and Margarita rocked 100 miles in September and it was fab.

surf

4. Travel.

We had some lovely trips this year and I got to tick off the two places I really wanted to visit – Maui and Yellowstone. Super-grateful we saw both places.

utah

maui

Things I didn’t manage!

1. ANY of my running goals.

No sub-25 5k. No sub-50 10k. No sub-1.49 1/2M (that’s a MASSIVE stretch goal but I also failed at my more realistic 1.51 goal). I was not fast in 2015. I can’t decide if that’s due to Old Age or lack of trying. In 2016, I intend to find out.

race end world hunger me

2. Learning to swim.

The second year I’ve not even tried to do this resolution. Clearly I am not bothered.

3. Cross-train weekly.

Nope. I did a lot of cycling this year though so I did better than previous years.

me cycling margarita peninsula

4. Learn the guitar

Nope. I would like to do this but it didn’t happen.

5. Clean up my diet

My diet is pretty good most of the time. I didn’t exactly clean it up but it’s no worse than it was. So…kind of.

Condensed milk on toast!
Condensed milk on toast!

6. Less time on the iPhone

No. I didn’t do this and I definitely need to sort it. When he visited, my Dad made disparaging comments about how much time I spend on the computer and my iPhone. He was right and I was actually quite embarrassed. It’s not good for me or my family so I’m already working on this.

So there we go. Some good stuff, some rubbish stuff.

It’s been an interesting year. I lost both my remaining grandparents this year. I lost a very dear friend a few days after her 99th birthday.  Some friends lost parents, two friends lost their only child, a little boy the Dude’s age. As I get older, I become more and more aware of the fragility of life, of how life hangs on an absolute knife-edge. Which makes each day more precious and more important. I’m learning to cherish each moment and to worry less about PR’s but rather to skip runs to spend time with visiting parents, or to slow down and enjoy running trails with the Dude. This may make for less exciting blogging but it makes for a more exciting life.

Happy New Year, people. Thank you for reading my blog in 2015. I really appreciate you.

1. bt says:

I feel you on the fragility of life thing. It does make much of everything else (especially resolutions) seem a little less important.

Yes. I think it’s important to have goals that make you excited to get up in the morning, but I’m starting to realise how unimportant they all are compared to the importance of the people I love. We must be getting wiser. Happy New Year, dear BT x

2. Julie says:

What a year it’s been! Congratulations on achieivng your qualifications! And of course, your fitness journey I continue to follow 😊😊 Have no resolutions as such for myself but little goals I hope to achieve and we will just have to see! X

Thank you so much! Little goals are good…probably better, good luck with them.

3. Grace says:

The wonderful thing about getting older is you figure out what really matters – and what can fall by the wayside. It does sound like you’ve had a great year (although I will keep laughing at you until you learn to swim!!!). If you want some diet accountability, just keep emailing me – and let’s talk recipes, because how good was that quinoa bake!

Yes, we should start being accountable again – I’ll drop you an email. But ugh…swimming.

Not too shabby, lady! I still think you had a stellar year & have lots to build on & look forward to in 2016. 🙂

This was a huge year for you! I’m so excited that you got your job permit and found a profession that you’re passionate about. That’s worth a thousand PRs! Happy New Year!!

6. Sincerely, a HUGE congrats on your career achievement. I know, from experience, it’s so hard to choose the right path when you are young. As you know, I’m still struggling to find my path and your journey gives me hope to carry on looking. I think 2015 may have not been your running year but it did not matter if you found a career you love. Actually, I want to tell you I’m really impressed by how you managed to do ALL these things while studying and managing your family. I never told you but you sincerely and truly inspiring me.

Bonne année 2016 à toi et ta famille !
    Des bises de France 🙂

Thank you, that’s such a lovely thing to say – I really appreciate it. Miss you x