2015 on the run

So here it is, my End of Year Reflection on 2015’s running! I’m using the same format that I used in 2012, 2013 and 2014!  I got it from Theodora’s blog but it may have come from  Miss Zippy. So I have no idea who came up with it, but it’s a great way of thinking things through so thanks anyway!

It’s been an interesting year for me as regards running. I have to admit, it’s been unremarkable.  I ran fewer miles than previous years. I only PR’d at the 5k – the first time off a very old, very soft base; the second time with a bit more oomph. I totally failed to PR at the 10k and the Half. My motivation dropped for a long time. I did a lot more cycling.

But even in a fairly blah running year, there was good stuff that’s worth documenting!!

Best Race Experience

My 100 mile bike ride sprang to mind, but this is a running blog so I’m going to pick a running race. Actually I’m picking two. The Red Rock Canyon Half Marathon in March was wonderful – such an incredibly beautiful course which I ran alongside a dear friend on a weekend in Vegas without the Dude. Pretty awesome.

me nic red rock

And then the Oakland Marathon Relay. Run as part of a team called the Crazy Cat Ladies with my bestest running friends, half of whom have since moved away. I LOVED being part of a team, it was so much fun!

Love these girls!
Love these girls!

Most Inspiring Runner

As ever, I totally swear that YOU GUYS inspire me every single day to get my bottom out of bed and run. But if I had to pick a ‘famous’ runner, it would be Lauren Fleshman. I’m sightly mortified because of the whole Oiselle thing but I heard an interview with LF on Marathon Talk and she kind of blew me away. So thoughtful and feisty. I like to think that she, her husband and her son are kind of like a cooler, sexier, faster version of me, the Husband and the Dude. (Don’t burst my bubble). I’m going to be focussing on the 5k and 10k next year and I can see the girl crush only getting stronger.

My Best Run

I think it was the time I ran up Mt Tam with Kate and Jen. It was something I’d wanted to do for years, something that fired me up enough to train hard and specifically.  The sense of achievement and enormous grin that spread across my face as I touched the door at the top was pretty flipping amazing.

Happy girls Photo Credit: Jen
Happy girls
Photo Credit: Jen

Best New Gear

I’ve grown to really love my zero dark thirty runs in the mornings and this is mainly due to my RoadRunner Sports LED lights. They’re so small and light but SO bright. I hated my neon vest that I had to wear over my clothes, it rustled and jiggled around. These lights? Totally revolutionised my morning runs! Love ’em.

Best Running Advice

This was more about cycling than running but I read an internet thing that said ‘If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you’. I think that’s so true. I hate change, I like the familiar but the danger is that you never step out of your comfort zone. This little piece of wisdom helped me step just a TINY bit out of that zone.

surf

Most Exciting Running Moment

This is so embarrassing…but seeing Kevin Costner at my Turkey Trot was the thing that immediately sprung to mind. Sorry.

My little old mum and dad
Family outing with Robin Hood

In summary…

The good thing is that I’m really loving running at the moment. Signing up for Walnut Creek was a good thing because it refocussed my training.I loved every training run and I’m still loving every run at the moment. I’m really grateful for that.

I turned 40 this year (I know, it’s hard to believe) and it has made me a little more aware of my own mortality. My boob scare shook me a little too.  I feel like I’ve aged physically this year – I look older and I feel older. I’ve found myself thinking more and more about wanting to get old with running, wanting to be one of those amazing veteran ladies that generally pass me at about M10 of a half. I still want to get faster, and for the first six months of 2016 I’m going to be focussing hard on speed…but I’m also thinking in the longer term about running.I want to feel the joy of running through forests when I’m old and grey.

redwood1

Looking forward to 2016 but 2015, you were good too.  Thank you.

1. Michaela says:

Love this post! I should probably do a similar wrap-up. But incorporate cats somehow.

2. Grace says:

What a year. Lots of ups and downs – but you live, you learn, you grow. I don’t think your run-blogging is blah at all, even if the runs feel blah! You’ve run in some gorgeous places, had lots of fun with some wonderful people, it’s clearly great fun for the Dude, and HELLO KEVIN COSTNER!

3. Nic J says:

Great write up! Woohoo Red Rock Canyon!! So thrilled we did that! And I’m still saying “Go big or go home” even now – has been adopted by the team at work as well!
    Your everyday challenges and achievements are still inspiring – keep blogging! Bring on 2016 and every challenge it has to offer! Xx

A very good year! Hope 2016 is even better!!!

5. Paulette says:

Awesome recap! Lauren is really awesome, I’m a fan of hers too. I’m sad you hate Oiselle because I’ve met so many people because of the team, but definitely don’t hold it against Lauren. 🙂 Hope to run with you more in the future, happy 2016!

I definitely don’t hate Oiselle – hate is such a strong word. I dislike them because they have disappointed me. I should be 100% keen on a company for women runners made up of women runners. That’s my perfect company. But I have found their social media presence to be obnoxious in the past and the idea of paying to be part of what seems like a running sorority bothers me a lot. However I have found myself softening towards them lately – Sarah Mac’s blog is wonderful and I cried reading her OTQ post. I am SO glad you’ve found so many good friends through them and I am also dead jealous of bird camp 🙂 So not hate by any stretch. And yes, Lauren seems pretty awesome.

I can totally relate to this bit: “I sometimes wonder about whether or not to continue blogging because my running is SO unremarkable…but I meet such lovely people through it that I always end up continuing.”

Just think – we wouldn’t even know each other if it hadn’t been for our blogs (and Angela’s)! And I think even if YOU think your running is so unremarkable, I can guarantee you that a lot of people would disagree. Most people cannot fathom doing any running at all, and you’re able to run UP MT. TAM and back down. So, keep blogging – I swear to you that you’re inspiring people just by being your lovely, enthusiastic, kind self. xoxo

Thank you!!! I think the other key thing is that I enjoy it. I enjoy the writing and the posting, it’s not a hassle for me to do. I am SUPER grateful to Angela and her blog (and our blogs) for bringing us together, and then bringing along a whole gang of girls!!!!