A shift in my mindset

on

I’ve been a very slack blogger lately! But the good news is that I feel like I may have turned a corner with running and the love might be coming back.

This might feel mighty fast, given that I only complained about my lack of love for the run a week or so ago, but it had taken me a good few weeks to publicly admit how I was feeling, so this week’s decent running was more than welcome.

I think two things made the difference.

1) Grace and I decided to be Training Buddies. We’re both feeling a little blah and need to sort out our eating habits and our training, so we’ve been emailing each other these past few weeks about our intentions and goals…and then what happened. It wasn’t a magic bullet (I still ate dessert every day) but it really shifted my mindset.

2) Jen and I put a date in the diary to run up Mt Tam. I have wanted to do this for two years since we hiked it back in 2013. It’s 6.5 miles up and then back down again. 6.5 miles solid uphill. I know I’m not in tip top shape by any stretch, but finally getting to DO this REALLY excited me and got me keen to run again! #CrazyCatLadiesTakeMtTam is at the end of the month!

Ready to run up a giant hill for these views
Ready to run up a giant hill for these views

So what did this look like in reality? Last week’s training looked like this. (This is for LAST week, I’ve been a REALLY slack blogger).

Monday.  SUPER busy, 100 degrees and literally no time to exercise. Such a great start to the week, eh?

Tuesday. 6am Spin Class. Pushed myself harder this week and felt good.

Wednesday.  5.3 miles hill repeats. 1/2 mile warm up and then 3 times up Alameda in San Mateo, a big 0.7m crusher of a hill. Miraculously, that last repeat was the fastest. I got back to my car super-sweaty (humidity) and literally glowing with endorphins.

Thursday. 3.5 miles very easy cycling with the Dude.

Friday. Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, level 2. The woman killed me.

At the weekend, we went up to Arnold in the Gold Country Mountains to check out our friends’ new ‘cabin’. Their cabin is fancier than any house I ever dream to own and it was a delight to share it and to spend time with them. Whilst I was there, I managed to do…

Saturdayan ‘easy’ three mile run.

Our friends live near this wonderful little lake surrounded by pines. I snuck in a quick run with the Husband and our friend’s dog, Sarge. Now, when you think about running with a dog, this is the kind of thing you think of, eh?

me dog

I love this photo, and one of my friends kindly said it looks like the kind of lifestyle photo you find in a magazine. And whilst it’s a genuine photo, I feel obliged to also show the other, less delightful, side of running with a dog.

dog poo me
I love Sarge, but his poo is smelly.

Luckily, I found a bin and the rest of the run was pretty amazing.

White Pines Lake.  Bliss, really.
White Pines Lake.
Bliss, really.

Later that day, I finally pulled up my big girl pants and tried Stand-Up Paddleboarding, which, I’ve wanted to do for a long time. The first time I tried to stand, I was pretty freaked out, but I soon discovered that if I did it on my knees, I was much safer and stronger. So I did it on my knees until I’d found some confidence and then after that, it was pretty easy and utterly awesome. I’m a bit of a chicken, so I was totally thrilled at how much I loved it. The Husband agreed. Later, he told me he was surprised at how decent I was at it, ‘given your pretty awful balance’. Thanks.

SUP
That isn’t cellulite, it’s just the grainy texture of the iPhone camera. (Ahem…)

The Dude put me to shame though, SUP-ing along like a pro…with his freaked-out mother in the kayak alongside.

Totally beat me.
Totally beat me.

The Arnold area is really lovely. Hilly, green, lush and just beautiful. Lots of nice cafes and diners. Big Trees State Park with its spectacular Giant Sequoias. Sweet little towns, filled with nice shops and wineries. I can’t deny I spent some time trying to work out how we could move here!!!

sequoias
Giant Sequoia.
trees
Ant’s eye view
family us
The day we just casually walked through a tree trunk

So all in all, as regards training, I feel like I might have turned a corner. I’m not out of the doldrums quite yet but I can feel a slight change in my attitude and that’s really exciting.

1. alisyn says:

I love love to SUP and I love the Arnold area! What a wonderful weekend!

Arnold’s gorgeous, isn’t it! I really love it there. Can you SUP up in PV? That would be fun.

2. Jess T. says:

Glad to hear your motivation is back!! Can you share some of that with me? And soooo sad that I’m missing Mt. Tam with you two.

Oh Sweet Jessie D, we will miss you. It’s basically us trying to pretend we’re not horribly jealous of you WS-ing. We shall be talking about you the whole time (well, downhill, not uphill) and being all grumbly and bitter we’re not with you. It’s basically a Consolation Run!!!! x

3. Layla says:

Hooray for turning the corner! I need that kind of mojo, ASAP! And the dog poo picture is too funny — again, I love that you don’t sugar-coat things like so many Instagram-filterers do these days.

You know, there was a ‘better’ photo of me SUPing but it showed my cellulite quite starkly. I pondered for a LONG time whether or not to show it and in the end, I wimped out and wasn’t brave enough. So whilst I try to be honest, I am totally guilty of cellulite-hiding.

I also love the dog poo photo. Excited for Mt. Tam!

Hopefully no poo up Mt Tam

Hahahahaha, hopefully not!!!

Yay! Glad things are going better. Arnold looks gorgeous!

You’d love it. Really nice wineries!

6. Nic J says:

All sounds promising! Any progress on the dietary side of things as well? (In best mum voice – are you getting your vitamins?!).
    Good luck with Mt Tam – on your recommendation, Keith and I hiked that (round the scenic bit, down to the bayside and then back up the gorge) – OMG. I can’t remember the last side I sweated that much outside of a rainforest! Was amazing though – we paused frequently to “take pictures”!
    Village show was last night so suffering the post-performance adrenalin crash – a summer run around Stockbridge and Longstock (just over 7m) has provided the best antidote though – I LOVE RUNNING!!!!!!

I have been taking Vit B12 and have been feeling stronger. Coincidence? Maybe but I’ll keep going!!! I remember your mt tam photos…we’ll be running different trails but definitely ‘photo stops’ as necessary. SO glad your run perked you up – running on an english summer’s day is pretty heavenly.

7. Paulette says:

Yay for running up Mt Tam and for you being excited! I’ve been blog slacking lately too, it happens. 🙂 Have fun!

Life is busy!!!!

8. Beautiful pics and it looks like fun.