2015 Goals and Resolutions

2015 is going to be a big year because at the start of February, I turn 40! It’s also going to be a big year because I’m going back to school. This will take up a massive chunk of my free time, so I’m trying to be realistic about what other goals I’ll set myself. I don’t want to set myself up to fail. But I love setting goals and resolutions each January, even with the knowledge that I won’t achieve them all.

I’ve thought long and hard about 2015’s goals and these are the ones I’ve decided to publicly declare. These resolutions look fairly do-able and yet still they excite me.

The Big Exciting Major One

1) Qualify as a pre-school teacher

This is my big goal. My fabulous new challenge. And I’ll say it here, I want to graduate top of my class. I want to work my socks off and be awesome.

Running

1) 1.49 1/2 Marathon

This is my ridiculous goal for 2015. I honestly think that it is beyond me. I don’t think I can run this fast. But if I told you my goal time was 1.50, I’d be lying. I want to go 1 hr 49…just one time. This may happen at Kaiser, it may not. But it’s there, making my heart beat faster. (Bad analogy for a heart patient, but you know what I mean). This may happen in 2015, it may happen in 2016 but it will be on my list until it happens.

2) Sub 50-min 10k

I think this is more possible. My current PR is 50.37 but that was on a slightly short course. It would be 50.53 on a 6.2 mile course so I’m pretty confident I can knock a minute off it. But it’s still a tough challenge for this slow runner. If I could do a sub-25 min 5k, I’d be pretty chuffed as well.

3) Run in 5 exciting new places

I’m thinking new state parks, running whilst we’re on holiday, cool races…but I want five awesome new running experiences by the end of the year.

Green Lake, Whistler - one of my loveliest 2014 runs
Green Lake, Whistler – one of my loveliest 2014 runs

Cross-Training

1) Do a 100 mile bike ride

The Husband is doing a Century Ride in May and frankly, I’d love to join him. But May will be crazy with lectures and exams and I won’t have the time to train – and how two of us train for a long bike ride at the same time, I have no idea. So I’m aiming for September or October.  I might need a new bike (my beloved touring bike is made of steel and weighs a ton) and I will def need to learn to clip in (ugh) but I can do that. 40 year olds can do anything, can’t they?

Me Liesl

2) Learn to swim

My failed 2014 resolution. I’m going to book lessons in June after I do my big goal trail-race.

3) Cross-train weekly

This can be anything. A bike ride, yoga, zumba, rock-climbing, weights…but once a week.

climbing

Life

1) Learn the guitar

The Husband and I bought each other half a guitar for Christmas. So far, IT HURTS MY FINGERS SO BADLY! But we’re both going to persevere and I’m hoping to be able to play it decently by the end of the year. We’re going to be like the von Trapp family singers!

Edelweiss, edelweiss...
Edelweiss, edelweiss… Please excuse the Christmas Day mess

2) Clean up my diet

My diet is probably 75 – 80% healthy. And when it’s healthy, it’s SUPER healthy. But I eat a lot of cake. I eat too many second portions. I eat oversized portions. So I’m going to set myself a limit of two sweet treats per week and two drinks per week. I also want to spend January cutting down on/cutting out sugar and I’m not drinking alcohol till after Kaiser. I need to just clear up the mucky edges of my diet.

3) Less time on the iPhone

Another failed but worthwhile 2014 resolution. I’m hoping this will take care of itself due to my college courses, guitar playing, running and the total lack of free time, but I’ll also be working up some ‘guidelines’ to make this happen. I’ve been turning it onto Airplane Mode this week whilst I’m out an about and that’s helping.

4) Travel

Less of a goal and more of a desire…my wish list for 2015 is: Maui/Hawaii, Yellowstone, Oregon (seriously, what’s with the mass obsession about Bend?) and Utah.

Gorgeous Hawaii
Hawaii….I’m coming back for you!

And that’s it! I am really excited about these goals. I actually want to do all of them – none of them are things I just think I should do (like yoga).  I’m very VERY excited about 2015.

1. Grace says:

Sounds like an awesome and exciting 2015! All the best with all of those! Good on you for even thinking of cross-training with all of the other stuff you’ve got going on. (And I managed to eke out a sub-25 5k this year and I’m pretty sure you can too, with all the work you’ve been putting in!)

Realistically, I know I won’t do all of these but it would be a shame to leave them off because of reality surely 😉

I don’t think I grasped you went sub-25. We’re about the same speed, aren’t we. I’m SO EXCITED NOW!

You sound suspiciously like you might be flirting with triathlon 😉 😉 😉

3. Nic J says:

Von Trapp….or Van Halen?… 🙂
    I expect a demo (of Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars, if nothing else) by the time of my arrival in March!!

Okay, that’s my goal.

1. Nicola Johnson says:

Can I change my request? Watched Breakfast at Tiffanys yesterday, and thought of you. A rendition of Moon River seems more appropriate!
        Sound of Music was on as well – a classic film day!

4. Paulette says:

My goal for this year is to finally run with you guys! Or bike perhaps? I could use some more biking in my life too. 🙂 And don’t call yourself slow, you are awesome. Happy New Year!

Happy New Year too!!! We would so love you to run with us soon. And def bike as well. xx

A great list of goals, that’s for sure! I like that you’ve listed running as well as non-running stuff – very well-rounded of you. Good luck with everything! I am definitely trying to clean up my diet as well — we should hold each other accountable. I’ve also had daydreams about learning guitar, but I tried a bunch of times in high school and it always ended disastrously. Hopefully you’ll do better! Remember there’s always the ukelele!

Oh, and Happy New Year! Hope today’s 10K went well!

I’m focussed on the diet for January at least, with my birthday and Kaiser as the motivation so that could help. Would love a healthy-eating buddy, great idea.

Going to toughen up my fingers and keep trying with that guitar.

Happy New Year!!! Sounds like an amazing 2015 is gonna happen!!! So excited about the school thing! I am sure you will be awesome!

7. You forgot Camarillo, CA, in your travel destinations for 2015 😉 We are waiting for you guys!!
    I will need to come to San Francisco for a private lesson in cycling as I am such a slow cyclist… I would love to tell you I can help you with the guitar (as my dad plays the guitar since he is 16… he learnt alone and is able to catch the guitar part of a song just listening to it BUT it seems he didn’t pass his talent to me :-(). Anyway, great goals for 2015. The BIG BIG one is such an exciting one 🙂 You’ll get it, I am sure.

We haven’t forgotten Camarillo at ALL!! I keep meaning to email you some dates. I’ll do so this weekend, I promise!! I was looking at the photos of you and I yesterday, they are so funny. We need more.

8. Naomi says:

Welp, I beat you to 40 by a few weeks and I’m hoping to run Kaiser too so hopefully I’ll see you there!

I took swim lessons at the Joinville pool during the summer. Actually I took lessons twice – once to learn how to swim and the second time to work on form and try other strokes. It was a great place to learn – I highly recommend it.

And if you’re ever up for cross-training we can take my TRX to Seal Point and do some boot camp stuff and run some stairs!

I didn’t realise you hit 40 a few weeks ago. Belatedly happy birthday, hope you had an awesome time! Is it okay on the other side of the hill? 🙂

Thanks for the joinville recommendation – I think that sounds pretty much perfect!

And YES to the bootcamp. After Kaiser, when I can risk murdering my legs and breaking my abs 🙂