Old dog. New Tricks

In 50 days, I turn 40.

HAHAHAHAHA!

I’m kind of torn about it. Slightly reluctant because…40? That’s old.  At least, it’s officially Not Young. And it feels weird. But also excited because I’m a girl who loves birthdays, I love being the centre of attention (I know it’s not polite to say so, I’m just being honest). I love having a fuss made of me.

All the cakes!

All the cakes!

I’m also strangely excited about reaching this milestone. I will move into another age-group for races and I WONDER if I might even win my age-group one day? If the hot 40-year-olds stay home with arthritis or something? But even outside of racing, it’s a new chapter in my life and that is always something to look forward to.

And it is indeed a new chapter. Because as of January 22nd, I’ll be going back to school. I’m going to retrain as a pre-school teacher!

Squeeeeeeee…..

I never saw this coming. I didn’t know I liked children until I had one. I was always the girl who preferred the company of animals to other people’s babies.  I have thought about becoming a teacher since I was 16 but I was lured by the glamour of corporate life (ahem) and then I didn’t want to tie myself down to holidays/vacations in line with school holidays. But now I’m firmly locked into the school system  via the Dude and so the time feels right. I’m honestly beside myself about this new opportunity. Like ‘can’t sit still’ excited.

Basically THIS excited!

Basically THIS excited!

I am very VERY grateful to the Husband for supporting me doing this. It’ll change our daily lives quite dramatically whilst I study but he’s totally on board and I am really grateful.

I’ll be taking 3 courses (9 credits) in the first semester and then I’m planning finishing off over the summer so hopefully, come the Autumn, I’ll be qualified. It will be interesting to see how running fits round this big workload – it may need to take a back seat? – but I’m going to try and make it work as best I can.

And then, later in the year, I can start teaching!!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Old dog. New Tricks

So excited for you! It will be a big change, for sure, but hopefully worth it in the long run.

2. Kristen says:

Haha, I love my birthday too! 🙂

What an exciting new chapter in your life! You will be amazing.

3. Grace says:

So exciting!! And you’ll get to model good student behaviour for the Dude through first grade.

4. OMG that’s such great news!! I am also REALLY excited for you!! You will rock, I am sure of that. And, congrats to be as brave as you are to take on the challenge. Really, really glad for you 🙂

Also, for your big birthday, I can relate because it was odd for me to turn 30, last year (and now, I’ll turn 31, in January…). And, actually, this 30 milestone was not such a big deal as I thought it would be. I never felt so good and so in tune with my body and myself. It may have something to do with our move to California too and the fact I definitely decided to stop trying to like my former job (and, not working at all now…). I don’t know. But, it seems to me that, yes, it’s true: the older, the wiser 🙂

Thank you for your sweet words.

Yeah, turning 30 was quite difficult but actually my 30s have been the happiest years of my life, I totally agree. One thing that’s cool about getting older is that you stop worrying about not being one of the cool kids etc…you just start being happy being yourself. That’s been a real pleasure. I’m kind of excited to see how cool my 40s can be.

5. Layla says:

I hate to break it to you, but 40 is not old. 😉 How do I know this? Because the 40-44 age group has some crazy fast women in it!
    It’s really great to see you excited about this new school/teaching adventure. You’ll be a great teacher because you’re excited about it, and because you care about people.

Ha…I know that the 40s chicks are fast. I just hope that one day, they stay home so I can win something 😉 And thanks for the lovely words about me teaching xx

6. bt says:

Congrats! Such wonderful news. Very cool and courageous.

SHUT UP YOU ARE NOT OLD!!! (Honestly I can’t even believe you’re nearly 40.)

But seriously, congratulations!! I think you will LOVE IT & be so glad you made this decision. 🙂 🙂

8. Sharyn says:

Congratulations. How exciting! I teach (although at university level) and I love it! I’m sure you will find it immensely satisfying 🙂

Thank you! I don’t think I knew you teach (although in a completely different world). I’m so excited about it.

• Sharyn says:

No, online life is a bit like that, choosing what to put out and what to keep private. I blog because I want to make contact with other people with similar interests i.e. sewing and running (especially after moving to the other side of the world away from the majority of my friends). But at the same time I’m uncomfortable putting personal information out there, as I would consider myself quite a private person. I mean I have a sewing blog, but I still struggle to put pictures of me wearing my handmade clothes. I would much rather not have my face in the pictures (but I’m aware that looks odd too!). And I think this reticence is partly because of my profession and because I teach within that profession. In a way I need to manage my online presence to match that professional presence, if that makes sense!

I understand, particularly in that kind of profession. BT (one of my local running friends) has a professional career (if that makes sense) and as such is very protective of her online presence. You have to be wary. I think every blogger has that inward struggle. Personally, the joys (the new friends, the motivation it gives me) outweighs the concerns but that may change.

10. Wow! That is awesome. Congrats. I think you will make a great teacher. As far as 40 goes, it is not so bad. At 42, I feel like my life is really going well, don’t ever really care what people think and just have to say have found that 40 yr old women are fast! Since I didn’t start running until around 37 or 38, I was amazed when I moved up into the older category how some of the races I run in the 40 year olds beat the 20 year olds. Don’t mean this to scare you but just to let you know that we may both have to wait until we are in our 50’s or 60’s to win some races. 🙂

Ten more years till I win my age-group? Sigh. I was hoping this would be my time!! I do think the confidence that comes with age is a wonderful thing. I wish I’d have the confidence/don’t-care attitude that I have now when I was in my 20s…such a waste of youth 🙂