Summer’s…here?

So it looks like winter in the Bay Area is over, because this weekend was just gorgeous. Shorts weather, for every-day life as opposed to running. Just beautiful!! Let’s not think about the drought and the wildfire risk and the parched hills of the East Bay…let’s just enjoy the sunshine…sigh. I couldn’t help enjoying the sunshine.

My long run happened on Friday. It was unremarkable – 12 miles squeezed in along the Bay Trail in between other commitments. 12 miles at 8.56 pace in the sunshine…really pleasant.

It looked like this
It looked like this

On Saturday, the Husband got busy with his Ironman training, doing his first double brick – 20 miles bike/3 miles run/17 miles bike/2 miles run. He did well, but then (understandably) had to go to sleep for a few hours, so the Dude and I took our borrowed dog, Monty, hiking at Arastradero Preserve – 3.5 miles in surprisingly hot temperatures, followed by ice-cream.

arastradero

In the evening, the lovely Jen and her equally lovely boyfriend came over for pizza, kirs, beers and to watch ‘Unbreakable: the Western States 100 movie’. We had a load of fun but as Jen pointed out the next day on Twitter: Ā ‘If a blogger get-together occurred, and there were no photos taken or tweets tweeted, did it *really* happen?’Ā Frankly, we were having too much fun to take photos or tweet about it – that’s what happens when you see your friends, isn’t it?? So in the absence of photos of me and Jen NOT in running clothes, please accept this photo of Anton Krupicka.

Source
Source

On Sunday, I joined my girls from church in an early easy 3 mile run along the Bay Trail. I tried running with the dog for the first time – he did incredibly well actually and watching the sunrise was pretty spectacular.

Me Monty sunrise

And later that day, we took the poor dog on a 4 mile hike up Sweeney Ridge, a ridge that gives views of both the Bay and the Ocean. We hiked past the Nike Missile Site from the cold war to the Bay Area Discovery Site where Europeans first spotted the Bay – it was pretty beautiful!

Family paw-trait :)
Family paw-trait šŸ™‚
sweeney ridge hiking
Blue skies and the fog drifting in on lower ground!

me

We have the dog for another few days. My initial grumpiness about how much time they take (we think at least an hour a day, two hours if you do a good job) has faded and I’ve kind of fallen in love with his big, smelly ginger loveliness. The Husband is under strict instructions NOT to let me anywhere near the local shelter for at least a month!!

Gorgeous photos, including the one of Anton (aka Jesus). We had a fabulous time on Saturday – we should do it again sometime!

I’m sorry about the sunshine šŸ™‚

1. No need to be sorry! We had sun today it was just in the low 20’s. I think spring starts thursday, so I’m holding out hope. They are saying this is one of the coldest winters we have had in a long time. I know I’m ready for it to be over.

I can’t believe some people’s IG photos of the snow still, it feels like a world away! Crossing my fingers for some spring for you.

2. NicJ says:

You “took the poor dog on a 4 mile hike up Sweeney Ridge” – are you kidding? The more walks he goes on, the more he will utterly adore you!
    And we’ve had some sunshine recently, Went for a 6.5 mile run on Sunday and came back complaining it wasn’t a good run because it was too hot šŸ™‚

Only poor because he had to run AND then hike, but yes he adored it. Slept so well.

I heard about the sunshine, so happy for you all!!! Love the British complaint about it being too hot after months of it being too wet šŸ™‚ I think I need some Wiltshire photos if you’ve got any nice ones.

1. Nicola Johnson says:

All my pics are Hampshire ones, now that I’ve “crossed the border”, but it’s all kind of the same. Most recent one was put on FB from Sunday run. Saw 2 stoats play fighting in the lane! Mind bogglingly brilliant (partic as I originally thought it wad injured and I’d have to stove its head in with a rock – luckily not required)! Winter pokes its head back round the door this weekend, so sun break temporarily on hold!

Shudder ref the stoat, poor thing.

3. Ahhh I wondered if having Monty was going to make you want a dog!! They’re pretty darn adorable!
    Also, I cannot believe these crazy double brick workouts! I really want to do an Ironman at some point in my life, but the training sounds so time consuming.

He DID make me want a dog, but once he’d left and we remembered how easy life is with a cat, we were happy to go back to dog-less life. They are gorgeous though.