What’s next?

The week after a goal race is always a bit odd. A little aimless, a little lazy, a little slack. I don’t mind this at all – my legs have served me well over the past two weeks (two PRs in two weeks? Workhorse legs!) and they deserved an easy week.

Note to self. If you’re too endorphined out to bother stretching AT ALL after a half-marathon, expect some really sore legs for three days.

What’s next?

My next race is the Angel Island 10 Miler on April 12th. I’ve mentioned before that my friend Louise is running this with me – it’s her first EVER race and she’s chosen a tough, hilly, trail race. I’ve been helping her work up a training plan Β and answering her questions (with my limited and questionable knowledge) and I am so enjoying watching her fall in love with running. I am running Angel Island very much for fun. Yes I’d love to run well but I’m doing it for the views and the experience!

It's going to be pretty!
It’s going to be pretty!

Relay Time

I am also kind of beside myself about another race I signed up for this week – the Wild West Relay in Colorado in August. I’ve wanted to do a relay for some time now, and the wonderful Bean suggested I run with her and 10 more friends. So, the weekend after the Husband’s Ironman, I’ll be heading to Colorado to help my team run 200 miles between Fort Collins and Steamboat Springs. This includes a leg of night-running in part of the world where bear and elk roam free. I am not thinking about that part of it, but am already checking out bear repellant measures. Everything else about this adventure is very exciting.

So excited about seeing this girl again!
So excited about seeing this girl again!

Film Review

This week, I finally got to watch Unbreakable. If you don’t know it, it’s the documentary movie about the 2010 Western States run – a brutal 100 mile trail race held here in California. I won’t give any spoilers for those still waiting to see it, but these things struck me.

• 100 miles is just ridiculously far to run. SO far.
  • These guys looked fresh as daisies at the end, like me at the end of a 3 mile easy jog.
  • Ultra Runners are basically hippies with questionable hygiene standards.
  • They also have pretty, dark-haired girlfriends who like yoga and/or running.
  • I have been pronouncing Killian Jornet’s name ALL wrong. I thought it was French ‘Jour-nay’ but non, it’s Spanish ‘ Hor-nett’. I feel like a fool.
  • Tony Krupicka is not my type but I could change my type for him.

I thought the film was good but nowhere near as good as the Salomon Trail Running films. They make trail running poetry, this wasn’t anywhere near as beautiful to watch. My favourite Salomon short films are this one, this one and this one.

PS…if you’re local, the Trails in Motion film festival is at the end of April. I’ve already bought my ticket and am currently going alone like Billy No Mates. Come and eat popcorn with me?

Did I do any running this week?

This week, I’ve been enjoying running in places I don’t usually run. Exploratory runs, as a reward for racing hard.

Saturday: Hellyer Half Marathon. 1.52.37 πŸ™‚

Monday: 4.4 very easy miles on suburban residential roads I don’t usually run on.

Wednesday: 6 easy miles at 9.38 pace.

On Wednesday, I headed to the nearby town of Woodside to run. Woodside is super posh, with beautiful country roads lined with millionaire houses and shaded by tree cover. Best of all, these roads have bridle paths/trails running next to the road…so I got to basically run trails without ever being more than 5 metres from the actual road. Perfect for feeling safe! I got to splash through mud, wobble over a plank, scramble over piles of Eucalyptus bark and have a LOT of fun!

Pretty beautiful!
Pretty beautiful!

In addition, this week I’ve walked several miles due to our houseguest, Monty, who is here for two weeks. I’ll simply say that Dogs = Lots Of Work, Cats = Dead Easy, therefore Cats < Dogs! However Monty is lovely and we’ve got some great walks in this week, including meeting up with Naomi and her utterly gorgeous Coco Pop!!

Doggy Playdate
Doggy Playdate

And that’s it! Happy Weekend, everyone.

1. Cheryl says:

Aw … Monty! What a handsome fellow. Congrats on your PRs — you’re an inspiration!!

Thank you, that’s a lovely thing to say!!

I totally want to go run in Woodside now! I still never have. That looks like my kind of trail running.

You know, you’d love it there. Once you’re mended and can handle 6 easy miles, we’ll go and celebrate there with a run and then have cupcakes at Woodside Bakery.

3. Whaou a relay ! I would love to run a relay one day. That is something I dream about. I am sure it is such a fun experience ! Let me know if you build a relay team one day. I’ll be happy to join !

Also, now I want to watch “Unbreakable” and I will go watch the Salomon videos.

Have a good week-end πŸ™‚

I keep muttering about doing a relay team – you shall definitely be in it because a) you’re fast b) you’re french and c) you’re very nice!!! DO watch Unbreakable, it’s a good night’s entertainment.

1. Seriously, when I was in France and reading American running blogs, I was so excited by the relays. We don’t have that kind of races in France (at least, for now) and I was like : “If I live in the USA, I’ll definitely do a relay !” The problem is I don’t know anybody here to make a team. So, yeah, count me in ! πŸ˜‰

I’ll email our group leader (who I don’t know, I only know Bean) and ask her to put you down as a reserve. I’ve been muttering about doing the Ragnar Wine Country….if anything comes of it, you can be our team speedster!!

4. Heather says:

Best wishes for your next race. And for your friend’s first! I chose a hilly trail half as my first ever half marathon and the best I can say is I finished before the cutoff. But every half after that has been easier by comparison. πŸ™‚

Ha, I shall be sure to comfort her with those words!!!!

I just like freaked out with excitement about Wild West Relay!!!!!!!! Which is awkward because I am at work but anyways I am super happy you are doing it!!!! And I just wrote a similar post about feeling lost after a race and titled it Now what…I swear I am not a copy cat….get out of my mind;). Whooooo for running with wildlife…um no I am a bit nervous about that too, luckily I am loud and am happy to sing out loud if needed during my legs. Guaranteed to keep all life forms away from me!

I saw your post and giggled…it’s kind of the obvious thing after a big race!! And I am SO excited about the relay, it’s going to be amazing. Plenty of time to plan an anti-bear strategy!

6. So jealous of all those beautiful places you get to run. I really need to factor in a trip over your way soon. I am traveling to Anaheim, CA in September and little Disneyland adventure.
    Your 10 miler looks beautiful and I know the relay will be fun. Good luck on the bear repellant, that would scare me!

Head north! come to SF!!

7. Kristen says:

Oooh, I have always wanted to run on Angel Island. Maybe after this baby is born. Also, I am so excited you got on a relay team – I know how much you have wanted to do one. You will have a blast and running at night is the best.

i’m really excited about both races! Once you’re up and running again, we should try and organize a blogger meet up to run angel island…I love the idea of getting th ferry over and the little bar/cafe by the harbor!!

8. kathryn says:

seriously, thank you for your blog, because as a newbie in the bay area I’m discovering all these fun races! I’m signing up like NOW!!! (hills….ughhhh, but pretty run…yayyy?!)

I’m so glad I’ve been useful! Which race are you signing up for? Angel Island???? Will be lovely to meet you on the ferry!!

I will go with you to the trail film festival thingee! Remind me to buy tickets!

Will do…I was hoping you’d take the bait and come along.

I’m so predictable! πŸ˜‰