Bay Breeze Training…Special Birthday Edition

Yesterday was my 39th birthday. I’m still trying to work out how I feel about this being the last year in my 30s. I have LOVED my 30s but the approach of 40 is quite daunting! I had a wonderful day yesterday – lots of (unhealthy) food and lots of friends and the new blue dress’s first excursion.

Lots of cakes for me this morning.
Lots of cakes for me this morning.
Puddle jumping
Puddle jumping
No silly faces from the Husband today :)
No silly faces from the Husband today 🙂
My lovely friends
So many lovely blurred friends here

I also got lots of birthday rain, for which I was grateful.

Puddles!
Puddles!

It’s been a decent week’s training – here’s what happened.

Friday: 13 mile long run

A warm day – so warm I ended up running in my sports bra during the final long, exposed, mile-long hill. A flat/downhill first half and a flipping hilly second half. Average pace – 10.23. I think that I need to start doing flatter long runs but building tempo miles into them – I’ll start that next week.

Spring has sprung too early here...but it's beautiful!
Spring has sprung too early here…but it’s beautiful!

Sunday: 3 mile easy run

The Superbowl proved too boring for this girl so I snuck out for three easy miles as dusk turned into night. It was totally silent and peaceful as I ran past houses and smelt their delicious Superbowl food! Didn’t take my watch so no idea about pace. That’s fine.

Sunset Foster CityMonday: 4 miles Intervals

My usual interval session of 1/2 mile WU and then 12 x (1 min fast/1 min recovery) followed by recovery jog home. Average pace – 8.31. Following my moans about numb/tingly feet in my new shoes last week, I loosened the laces considerably and the problem has pretty much gone away.

Wednesday: 7.4 mile Tempo run.

As a bit of a birthday treat, I zoomed up to Golden Gate Park whilst the Dude was in pre-school for this week’s long run.  M1 – WU, M2,3,4,5 – tempo, M6 recovery, M7 tempo. I started at the bottom of JFK and ran up the park to the Conservatory of Flowers which is a steady, gentle uphill incline. I included a loop of Stow Lake on the way back. My splits in this run were much slower than my usual tempo runs – if I exclude the final downhill mile, they averaged 8.40 which is too slow but I ran them at tempo effort so I wonder if the overall effect is the same? If I include the final mile, tempo miles average 8.31 which is a little better.

The first time I've ever seen the bison up and about!
The first time I’ve ever seen the bison up and about!

I followed my run with a sneaky coffee and brownie at a cafe I’d heard about via Twitter…Heartbaker in the Richmond. It was an utter delight. Such a treat!

You need to come here... Clement & 15th
You need to come here…
Clement & 15th
Coffee, brownie and roses.
Coffee, brownie and roses.

Evening: Yoga

Back at my usual class after that rubbish Tuesday night class last time. So much happier.

In summary, Bay Breeze and my attempt for a 51:xx 10k PR is next Saturday (the 15th). After two successive week’s tempo runs being on roads different to my usual tempo route, I’m not sure if I’m getting faster, slower or maintaining my tempo speed and this makes me a little uncomfortable. I’m going to plan next week’s running and mini-taper carefully!

This Saturday, Jen and I had planned our next trail adventure, running up and along San Bruno Mountain. The forecast however is grim – lots of rain and quite chilly, which makes  exposed ridges not attractive. Cancel! (And by the way, congrats to Jen who cracked a sub-two half-marathon in horrible conditions last weekend).

Heaven when it's dry...hell in the rain!
Heaven when it’s dry…hell in the rain!
Source

Hope you all had a good week!

1. Brianna says:

Happy belated birthday! It looks like you have had a great birthday week so far 🙂

It’s been lovely. Thank you!

2. Happy Birthday! Glad you are getting your birthday wish of some rain. You can come enjoy some snow up here in New England and try your hand at freezing cold runs, if you would like they are a little more fun than they sound. 😉

Thanks, I’ll stick with the rain! My two snowy runs in Boulder were enough to tick the ‘snow run’ box for this year 🙂

3. Susie M says:

Happy birthday! I’m going to copy the format of your 4mile interval run this morning, if I can tear myself away from watching the Winter Olympics…

Hopefully the Olympics will inspire you to get out an run although I am still on the sofa so not sufficiently inspired! Good luck with the intervals. When I started doing them, I needed 2 min recovery, then went down to 1.5 min recovery before managing 1m recovery!

Happy belated birthday! I was excited to hear you mention the birthday dress… only to see just half of it in the photos. I demand a proper photo!! 😉
    I’m sad that we had to cancel our run, but looking out on the dreary rain makes me think we definitely made the right call! I think you’re going to CRUSH it next Saturday – hopefully the weather will be in your favor. Unfortunately, we’re going out of town (to Arnold/Murphys), but I would’ve definitely shown up just to cheer you on at the finish. I’ll be thinking of you!

I don’t think I got a decent photo – none of my friends take photos which is a little frustrating. I promise to wear it again shortly and send a photo. I really love it.

We totes made the right call about our trail run. A wise decision.

Thanks for the confidence about next week. I feel like I’ve worked hard, I just have to see how it goes on the day. Have a wonderful time in Gold Country, I LOVE it up there! There’s an amazing apple cider stand on the way to Arnold past Murphys…their apple pies are fantastic!

Oooh, I’ll definitely be on the lookout for apple pies!

1) HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!!

2) I can only *hope* I look as good as you in six years.

3) Obviously, the crazy rain happened so that this trail run can be rescheduled for when I can run for more than 5 minutes at a time. 😉

1) thank you. 2) thank you more. 3) yes!!!!