14 things for 2014

I spent the weekend feeling ropey as the germ-fest took hold in our house. As such, no running took place, which makes me feel a bit grumpy, so I stole this idea shamelessly from Mountaindiva.net to cheer me up. These are some of the things I’m excited about coming up this year!!

1) Rain – January (please!)

There aren’t many Brits who long for rain but the drought here gets more and more concerning with every day that passes. On a superficial level, there’s no skiing in Tahoe and the East Bay hobbit hills are brown instead of lush green…but on a deeper level, the agricultural workers in the Central Valley are hugely concerned about crops and livelihoods. I cannot WAIT for rain – I shall be dancing in it when it finally arrives.

2) The Winter Olympics – February 6th

They start on my birthday (yay) and it’s two weeks of crazy Olympic brilliance. I’m looking forward to watching the ski jumping, the ice-skating, the bobsleighing and particularly at laughing at the American uniform. Guys, you poor things!

Source
Source

But Norway’s is pretty cool as well!

Source
Source

3) Riding my bike for miles

I can’t tell you how thrilled the Husband and I are about the Dude learning to cycle. It’s like a whole world of cycling adventures has opened up to us again after a few years of not cycling very much. I see the summer stretching ahead with us on our bikes and picnics in our panniers.

Me Liesl

4) Jasmine season

I LOVE LOVE LOVE early-morning running in April when it gets light out earlier and the air is scented with thousands of jasmine bushes.

5) The New Season of Game of Thrones – April 6th!

BRING BACK THE DRAGONS!

6) Marathon Week – April

The London Marathon’s men’s line-up is incredible this year – Mo Farrah is running his first 26.2 and pretty much every other Marathon Speedster will be lining up to stop him. Total Running Smack-Down! To be followed a week later by Boston which will be deeply emotional and inspiring. It’s going to be a great week to be a runner.

7) Visiting the UK – Some time, maybe Spring?

I haven’t been home since last January, it would be lovely to go and see my family again, to stock up on M&S underwear and take the Dude to London for the first time!

Wiltshire road sunrise

8) Trails with Jen and friends

Jen and I have got into a good system of exploring different Bay Area trails and I’m really excited to run in new places and hopefully to get the group growing over the year!

9) Spectating Western States – June

My fascination with ultras gets worse every week and this year, I’m determined to sort out a camping weekend in Auburn and to spectate the Western States. Anyone coming with me?

Camping

10) Berry Creek Falls Half-Marathon – June

This is one of the races I’m MOST excited about in 2014. 13.1 miles of beautiful trails in spectacular Big Basin park. I suspect there won’t be any waterfalls to see when I get there, but this is the race that gets my heart pounding when I think about it.

Big Basin Trails

11) Le Tour de France – July

My favourite sporting event. Until two years ago, there had never been a British winner and BAM we’ve had two in successive years. It’s going to be cracking!

12) IronMan Canada – July

I am dying to see the Husband hopefully cross the finish line of his first IronMan. I get weepy just thinking about it!! I’m also REALLY excited about our trip to Whistler and the beauty of the mountains up there!

Source
Source

13) September with the Parents

My parents are hoping to come out for a WHOLE FLIPPING MONTH! I’ll say no more or I may explode!

parents mum dad airport

14) Autumn

America does Fall so well…pumpkins, front-door-decorating, Halloween, foliage, pumpkin muffins and fancy coffees. Whilst I’m not wishing the year away and am excited about summer, I can’t help but look forward to those Autumn days!

Tahoe Autumn Leaves

What are you looking forward to in 2014!

I might be up for spectating at Western States!

2. Susie says:

I’m sure your family over here have been telling you this too, but we are having ALL THE RAIN in England right now. Great list of 2014 highlights, I’m super excited for the Winter Olympics too. And those USA outfits are something else! I’ve just signed up to run my fourth marathon this October – Amsterdam – so that’s looking like it’ll be a big highlight this year.

I do feel bad for moaning about too much sunshine, my parents roll their eyes every time! I think the UK got our rain as well! Misery for everyone!
      Amsterdam sounds wonderful, such a cool city!! You should check out Citizen M hotel at the airport, one of th coolest and best value places I’ve ever stayed!!! Good luck!

1. Susie M says:

Thanks for the hotel recommendation, will check it out!

3. Layla says:

Oh my goodness, Norway’s uniforms just made me laugh! I can’t believe how ridiculous America’s are (the boots don’t help with the “ugly sweater” factor), but I definitely had not seen the Norwegian outfits. At least those guys look fun in the photo. I’m really hoping to get to Western States this year, especially since Alisyn’s fiance, Matt, is running it. Maybe we can sort out a group of people to go spectate!

Norway is hilarious isn’t it, but the Scandis are so cool, they pull it off…swines;)
      We should DEF pull together a cheering squad for WS, what a great idea!

4. I love all those.
    1. April is my marathon too (the weekend after Boston) so I can’t wait until April!
    2. The uniforms are great and I can hardly wait for the Olympics (Happy Birthday in Advance in case I forget!)
    3. I’m looking forward to warmer days so I can get out and run in less clothing (not naked just no hat, gloves, long pants and a jacket).
    4. Taking and passing my licensure exam so I can become a licensed counselor (which opens even more doors).
    5. Lots and lots of races (Half-marathon trilogy, marathon, a race a month!)
    6. A trip to Anaheim in September (Disneyland here I come. I’ve never been there)
    7. Another daughter finishing college so going to graduation in May.
    I’ve only got 7 in 2014 but maybe I will steal your idea and come up with more for a blog post! 🙂

Feel free to steal it, I did!! and your year sounds SO much more amazing…so many BIG things going on! lucky you, running a marathon during the marathon frenzy….you’ll be so pumped up and ready to run!

WOOT! Olympics! Game of Thrones! Trails! All of these things. Super excited. I just need my stupid leg to get better so I can start actually joining you guys for some trail runs. 🙂

I know, I’m so sorry about your leg. I just don’t understand how it happened for you. Once you’re healed we’ll organise a Welcome Angela Back To Running party, we promise! With trails and cocktails!