Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling

I have to admit it, I am not a fan of Disney. I know lots of people are so I won’t go into details but I will include this wonderful graphic which I found on Angela’s Pinterest which basically explains my issues.

Having said that…the people in the enchanted castle flipping know how to write a good song!!! When I was twenty years younger (ouch) and less bothered about gender stereotyping, Disney went through a golden spell which included The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and best of all, Beauty and the Beast. I adored them all and totally adored the soundtracks. With the Walt Disney Half Marathon this past weekend (congrats Amanda on your PR if you’re reading), the songs got back in my head this week and I found myself downloading them into a little 40 minute playlist for speed sessions.

I did intervals on Monday. 4 miles of intervals. From the minute ‘A whole new world’ came on at the start line, I started grinning and I didn’t stop grinning until I got back to my house at the end. Despite singing out loud in places and doing the occasional action, I found myself running so fast that I miscounted the number of intervals I ran, doing 11 instead of 12 and yet STILL knocking a minute off last week’s time! Hmmm, Mr Disney…you may be onto something here!

So…with my tongue firmly in my cheek and my eyes rolling so hard I’m going boss-eyed, may I present to you the best Disney songs for speed sessions!

In no particular order:

Beauty and the Beast

• Belle’s song
  • Kill the Beast
  • Gaston
  • Be our Guest

Aladdin

• A Whole New World
  • One Jump Ahead

Lion King

• Hakuna Matata

Princess and the Frog

• Dig a Little Deeper (this is actually brilliant)

Little Mermaid

• Part of your World
  • Under the Sea
  • Les Poissons

Jungle Book

• Bear Necessities

Also wonderful but not for speedwork:

• You’ve got a Friend in Me
  • Kiss the Girl

Okay, what did I miss? What are your favourite Disney songs? What are the secret songs you know you shouldn’t love but you just do? Let’s create a joint Playlist of Shame 🙂

(You know that I sing them all with an amazing super-nasal, American accent.)

1. Amy says:

Even though I wrote more than one paper in college arguing that Disney is single-handedly ruining reality, I am such a Disney nerd, and I know the words to about 90% of all Disney songs, so I bestow no judgement upon you or your playlist.

I would add Just Can’t Wait to be King from the Lion King, Zero to Hero from Hercules, and Let it Go from Frozen.

I shall check those out…thank you! loved your latest post BTW!!

2. I can never remember songs but for some reason all the disney songs stick in my head once I see them. I can honestly say I sang almost every single one of those as I scrolled through. I do however agree with the Pinterest pin, very insightful, I had never looked at it that way.

Hope I didn’t bust a bubble 😉 the songs are amazing, they’re first rate pieces of music!!

Getting a lot of comfort in the fact that everyone who’s commented so far has the same secret weakness!!

Heh, I remember that “Golden Age” — my friends & I knew *all* the words to every song in The Little Mermaid & drove our parents absolutely insane.

(I think the image got lost somewhere but I know *exactly* the one you mean!

http://boingboing.net/2010/05/24/what-disney-princess.html )

I’m surprised the graphic didn’t work…someone else comments on it too so maybe it takes a little moment to load? but yes, I loved it …great find!

4. Paulette says:

I like Disney…but ouch that infographic is very accurate. Cute post about Disney speedwork songs!

thanks…it seems to work!

I loved The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast. One winter break, we got snowed in and I think I watched Beauty and the Beast about 10 times!! My favorite Disney songs before the “Golden Age” are Once Upon a Dream (from Sleeping Beauty) and Bear Necessities.

Bear Necessities is a brilliant song!

6. Bo says:

Great post , despite the gravity of the altered reality that Disney teaches girls , it’s IMPOSSIBLE not to sing when reading that playlist!

I know. I want NOT to like the songs but they’re too brilliant!!!