2014 Goals and Resolutions

Welcome, welcome…to 2014! (To be said in your best Effie Trinket voice).

Happy New Year!

I’ve said before, but I really love the opportunity to start afresh every year – which is why I love New Year Resolutions. I totally accept I’ll probably fail them all at some point, but I like to make the effort to keep them! And these are my goals and resolutions for 2014!

1) Run a race every month!

Because I’m stepping back a little on my efforts to get faster, there aren’t many time goals in this year’s resolutions, but I want to ‘race’ regularly and to enjoy it.

2) 1.52 half-marathon.  I think me and my heart have this in me!

3) Sub-52 10k. Ditto.

4) To take a yoga class fortnightly. I want to get more bendy.

5) To read at least 12 books. Recommendations, please?

6) To spend less time on my iPhone. I need to develop some discipline about using it when necessary but not wasting time on it during the day.

7) To learn to swim properly. Especially front crawl. Dreading this, but I need to face that fear!

8) To get back into cycling again. To cycle at least once weekly, no matter how short a distance.

Dude sleeping cycling

9) To lose some weight.

This is clearly a contentious one and I’m a little unsure about putting it on the blog. My weight (except in the years pre and post having the Dude) has remained pretty much the same since I got married. However nothing LOOKS the same any more and I FEEL flabby. So along with exercise and yoga etc, I think it may be time to try and lose a few pounds. Do not worry about this – my love of food is too great for me to be at risk of an eating disorder.

There are a few other goals and resolutions, but they’re more personal.

There are two overall themes that I want to live out in 2014.

1) A year of being outdoors.

As a family, we love being outdoors. So I want this to be a theme of the year – hiking, camping, running, cycling etc. I want this to be a year we spent as much time outdoors as possible.

More of this, please!
More of this, please!

2) A year of living bravely.

I spoke a few weeks ago about my inner chickenness. I hate my lack of courage and so I want 2014 to also be the year when I am brave, when I push myself to do things that otherwise scare me. Learning to swim properly is one such example – I want to look back on this year and see it as the year I put on my Big Girl Pants.

The Husband has one very big goal for the year. An ‘Irongoal’. Last week, after a lot of consideration, he signed up for Ironman Canada at the end of July! He has a coach (one thing I insisted on) and is raring to go. Whilst I won’t be blogging regularly about his training, it’s inevitable that I’ll share part of it here on this blog – hope that’s okay!

Here we go...press the button already!
Here we go…press the button already!

(It sounds so very Game of Thrones to me! Does he get to sit on an Iron Throne at the end of it? I may be obliged to make one for him for a photo!)

When I asked the Dude about his resolutions, he simply said it was ‘to turn 5’. I seriously hope we manage to pull this one off!

Okay – what are your resolutions or goals this year? Gimme a good one!

GO Husband!!!!! That is so exciting. I am totally okay with you sharing about his journey as well. I feel like that is such a huge deal that the entire family will probably be involved one way or another. Random- I was just reading TrailRunner- my parents got it for me for Christmas! Exciting!- and was thinking you and Jen need to submit some of your awesome photos to them. It looks like they give away gear to the ones they select and you all have taken some amazing ones.I want to do more hiking/ outdoor this stuff too- I like that resolution! Happy 2014!!!

That’s a fab idea…thanks for thinking our photos are any way good enough! I’m also thinking the IronWife duties should earn me enough brownie points to do a Colorado Relay with you in August too 🙂

I just got even more excited about this Ironman thing! Especially if it means I get to hang with you at the relay!!!!

2. Kristen says:

Ahhh – I am so excited for your husband!! While obviously not an option for me this year an Ironman is on my list of goals for 2016 (I tend to get ahead of myself). 🙂

I have no doubt you can hit everything on your list in 2014. Happy New Year!

Your 2014 is going to be better than everyone’s. So happy for you!

3. Wow! An ironman needs and iron woman to help him get there. I am sure it will be fun reading about his/your adventures with this!

I’m with you on a race a month. I have gotten so much more relaxed since I started running more races and the bling is kind of fun to have too!

Great resolutions. Can’t wait to cheer you on. Happy 2014!

Thank you! We’re really excited about the Ironman – the Dude has started training to be an Ironkid too, it’s hilarious!! Thanks for all your comments and support, I really appreciate them. Happy New Year x

Exciting goals! I’m with you on using the iPhone/internets less. Good luck!

I completely forgot to even start that one today 🙂

Wow, Husband!!! Way to just go for it!!

Good luck with all your goals. I will let you know if I come across any must-read books!

6. Nicola Johnson says:

Am loving the Dude’s resolution in particular. After a year in which we lost my younger cousin (34) to aggressive cancer (less than 6 months between diagnosis to funeral, and we attended his wedding 3 years ago, and congratulated them on the birth of their daughter 18 months ago), getting to the next birthday is absolutely as good as it gets. A PB is the added bonus… 🙂

YES! If he doesn’t manage that resolution, nothing else really matters. So sorry about your cousin x

1. Nicola Johnson says:

It’s a sad memory to share, but one that’s really quite shaken me – more than I ever thought it would. Has certainly made me count my blessings. Can see more fundraising happening this year I think… Fab picture of him cycling with no stabilisers! I remember when that was me – exhilarating! I think I’m going to sign up to at least one duathlon this year, to encourage me to get back on my bike. Where’s my turbo trainer?!!!

I think when someone dies of our generation, it is a big reminder of our own mortality. Hugs. x

7. I’m glad to see that the bike made it on this list!! Maybe you’ll have to add in a duathlon or two to your race schedule?!?

I could be tempted to do one as long as I didn’t have to clip in. My bike is a touring bike (made of steel) though so I’d need a new bike. Ooh, that’s a nice idea.