A weekend smorgasbord!

For lunch, the Dude likes nothing more than ‘a smorgasbord’. Which is what we call a plate filled with little helpings of lots of things. Cheese, bread, nuts, vegetables, fruit, hummus. It’s a great way of getting him to eat different food groups and also a great way for me to finish off the leftovers from last night! This blog post is also a ‘smorgasbord’ filled with lots of random things about running!

1) I wanna be a part of it.

Like many, I was watching the NYC Marathon coverage on Sunday morning and was totally inspired. I was cheering on two bloggers that I read, Ali and Theodora, and was so excited when they got great times!

And frankly, I want to be a part of it. NYC has always been the one marathon that would drag me out of marathon retirement. So I’m going to apply for the lottery next year. If I get in, I’ll hot-foot it to the cardiologist’s to get his view, his advice and the recommendation for a coach who can work with my heart condition! If I don’t get in, I’ll sit in bed and eat bagels like this year! (Haven’t mentioned this new plan to my mum yet, so don’t tell her).

Source
Source

2) I went for a run.

4 easy miles was in the plan. So short and so easy that I feel somewhat shamefaced to mention it as my run for the weekend, but I did it and it was nice. My long run is today, Monday.

A nice place for a run
A nice place for a run

3) I bought a hydration vest.

I’ve been thinking for a while now of buying a hydration vest (aka a running back-pack with a bladder inside it). Last week, I did some research, twittered some people, read some reviews and hit REI to try some on and jump around wildly to see if they budged. Last night, I pressed ‘buy’ on a Nathan Intensity vest. I chose it over the smaller and cheaper Nathan Minimist because it carries more stuff, so will be useful for hiking. Between running and hiking, I am confident I can justify the cost (I am under strict instruction from the Husband to do so) and I am VERY excited about it. Hope it comes in time for this weekend’s long trail run with Jen.

Coming my way!
Coming my way! Source

4) I’m making my own running calendar.

This might be genius or might be the height of narcissism. But I was idly looking at the Runners World 2014 calendar with its beautiful, inspiring photos. It occurred to me that I have many beautiful, inspiring (to me) photos of my own running in 2014 and it would be more fun to make my own Rave Runs calendar! So I spent some time gathering the photos into a file and starting work on it. And it occurred to me that I have been SO lucky this year to run in the places where I’ve run. I am so grateful and we have two months of rave running left this year!

Huddart Trails Me

Anyway…the crux of this is…

I THINK YOU SHOULD DO YOUR OWN RAVE RUN CALENDAR AS WELL!!

Genius?

5) How much fun does this trip sound?

I saw an advert in Trailrunner Magazine for a three-day trail-running trip along a river, where your stuff is carried by raft (and you can hitch a lift on the raft if you get tired). You stay in wilderness lodges and run 40 miles in 3 days. How cool does this sound?? Check this out!Β

6) It’s Bonfire Night tomorrow.

Which is clearly nothing to do with running but SUCH a big deal for this Brit! So excited.

Happy Monday, everyone!

Okay looking into NYCM lottery! Love the idea of a calender. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

DO THE CALENDER!!! AND DO THE LOTTERY.

2. Brianna says:

I love the NYC Marathon! It is by far the BEST day in New York. When I was at school in Manhattan and living right off 1rst Avenue on the Upper East Side, I would spend hours watching the race from the street cheering for all the runners on Marathon Sunday. The crowds on the side walk would be at least 6 rows deep. There really is a party that happens on 1rst Avenue.

I knew after seeing that race for the first time in 2006, that I too would someday finish a marathon. (I finallly did 4 years after leaving New York and now I am training for #2 this spring!) There is not a doubt in my mind that one day I will line up with 40,000+ at the base of the Varazzano Narrows bridge in Staten Island and run the city where I first became a Runner πŸ™‚

LOVE this comment – you have to do it! Which marathon are you training for? Forgive me if you’ve told me. Also, I LOVE your photo on DM. I spent 6 months in Florence and had an aquaintence who had a flat in the old town with pretty much that exact view. Your photo brought back so many memories!

1. Brianna says:

Napa Valley in March. I just started training 3 weeks ago. It (like NYCM) is just a race that I feel like I would need to do in my lifetime. It runs along the Silverado trail from Calistoga to Napa. Although I have never ran it, I have driven the course and it is just so beautiful.
        Regarding the Dailymile picture, it was taken on our trip 2 summers ago from our hotel. The boyfriend and I went to Italy for a week. So jealous that you got to spend 6 months there. I was only there for 2 days. Florence is such an amazing city. It was the best part of our trip.

Yay hydration vest! I hope it comes by Saturday too…
    Good luck getting into NYCM! It seems like you could take it easier and not challenge the heart too much? My friend just ran it and absolutely LOVED it. She said it wasn’t a PR course — it’s more geared towards enjoying the crowds and atmosphere, which would be good for a “take it easy” marathon (though is there such a thing if one is running 26.2 miles??).

The vacation in Oregon sounds fun, but way too expensive! I would fancy getting a cabin near a park to use as a home base for several long runs spread out over a few days.

I agree, it’s RIDICULOUSLY expensive!!! We’ll stick with Running Camp. Much better value and we get to be ambassadors as well πŸ™‚

Yes, if I did NYC I would have to slow right down and do it for the experience rather than trying for a time.

OMG I would be so excited for you if you decided to come out of marathon retirement!!! Also, I love this DYI running calendar idea.

Ha, you would be excited – my Mum would freak out πŸ™‚ We’ll see. NYC has always been the only marathon apart from London I’ve really wanted to do.

Do the calendar, I am already crazy about my work-in-progress one!!

Angela’s doing Napa too! Should be fun!

Yes, I was SO lucky to spend that long in Florence, it’s an incredible city! I miss it, it feels very far away from here!

6. Brianna says: