Pre-Race thoughts…and music!

The Half Moon Bay Half Marathon is this Sunday! And I really don’t know what I think about it.

I am obviously excited about it – it’s a great course, a great town!  I’ve been excited about this race for ages and ages!! The Husband is running it. Bean is coming to stay to run the Full. I have lots of friends running it and more friends coming to cheer! It’s going to be a cracker of a day! But I really don’t yet know what I’m going to try and do on Sunday!

If I’m really honest, I’m not hungry for a PR. For San Francisco 2, I was dying to get a PR. I was dreaming of the finish line. I was so motivated. And I got that PR (I ran faster than I’d dared hope). So I kind of feel like I’ve achieved my 2013 goal in this case. That’s so lazy, isn’t it!! But I don’t feel the same hunger that I did in June.

Such a great day!
Such a great day!

In addition, the past two weeks’ training has been less than spectacular. A good last long run at Point Pinole, then some slacking, then some ‘binge training‘. Then on Sunday I did a tempo run and hiked up and down a mountain.

So on Monday I woke up with QUADS FROM HELL. Everything hurt. But I wanted to get one last long run in – so I ran 12 miles whilst the Dude was at pre-school. Well – I started to run 12 miles. But the course I chose is SOOOO hilly, there’s barely any flat in it at all, it’s all up and down. And my quads hurt so much that it just didn’t strike me as very wise to keep trashing them At the bottom of the last (7th) and toughest hill at the end of the run, a bus pulled into the bus-stop next to me. And before I knew it, I’d hopped on and was magically carried to the top of the hill. I have NEVER taken a bus before on my run – it felt quite naughty! And quite funny.

Yesterday, Tuesday, Juli came over for a stroller run with the kids – we did a very easy 4 miles on a flat path. My quads are still killing. I have a few days for them to heal and intend to let the poor things rest!

So, bearing in mind all of the above, these are my goals for HMB.

1) Go for a PR. This race is PR perfect. If the quads feel good, it would be stupid not to run it as hard as I can!! So the goal time is 1.52.59. I think this is very unlikely. However the race is much flatter than SF2 and the weather is cooler, so it feels stupid not to push for a PR.

2) 1.55.  I think this is the likely scenario. Maybe 1.55 or 1.56.

I do however to have the most possible amounts of fun this weekend! I love racing, I love the adrenaline, the buzz, the start-line energy and most of all the carb-loading. I fully intend to make the most of all of the above 🙂

Coming for you this Sunday!
Coming for you this Sunday!

To make the race more fun, I’ve done a cracking new playlist and it would be rude not to share 😉 Totally random – lots of old favourites and some top British pop (if you don’t know Girls Aloud, they do some great running songs). And the new Katie Perry, which I resisted for a long time but it’s pretty fab if I’m honest.

HMB playlist

Don’t Stop the Music          Rihanna

Disturbia                               Rihanna

In the End                             Linkin Park

Like a Prayer                        Madonna

Right Here, Right Now       Fatboy Slim

Enjoy 🙂

Whooooo so excited! Can’t wait to be there! Those goals sound like good goals. This might be a good course to just go out and enjoy! See you soon!

SO excited. See you at baggage!

2. Nic J says:

Good luck and ENJOY!!!!! If you’re at a loss as to what to aim for, I have read about runners who have (accidently or deliberately) not run with a watch, and just to their bodies rather than to time – and a number have performed really well (PB’d in some instances) – I guess they were more relaxed as a result? Could be worth a thought.
    And good music choices – are these at a particular tempo or have you chosen them so can you can sing along to them!! Brings back memories of you bursting into song during the quiet of revision sessions, sending Mr Scrase into apoplexy, while you were oblivious!!
    Whatever happens at the race, hope you have a good one! x (and same for Bean and the now TV-famous Mr R!)

Yeah, I’ve heard those stories too and am considering running without a watch. I tend to race with minimal technology anyway – I know if I can run any faster, no point stressing myself out!
      Songs are all because they make me happy. The ones at the end are feistier so I fight a bit harder if I’m flagging but yes, lots of memories tucked inside this playlist 😉

3. Brianna says:

Good luck this weekend! I can’t wait to here how the race goes!

Thank you! Are you running it?

1. Brianna says:

No. I didn’t run, but I think I am going to next yar… It is my local half marathon afterall being from Pacifica 🙂

Yeah, I was thinking about you during the race, wondering if you were running. Next year, do it!

4. Juli Bronzini says:

I didn’t want to like that Katie Perry song either and now I can’t get enough of it! I’m like a teenage girl(: Sounds like you have a good plan for Sunday! I’m somewhere in your same range for this weekend- only time will tell I guess! Most important thing is it’ll be a blast!

You’re going to do SO well, you’ll be faster than me no matter how well I run with those long legs. It’s going to be ace.

Yeah, the whole Katie Perry thing is shameful but inescapable!! Roar….

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll have a great race and a fun time, even if you don’t end up with a PR (but hey, who knows?????). It’s so pretty out there!

Thanks – you can’t PR at every race, can you!! I think it’s going to be a lot of fun anyway!

I don’t think it’s lazy at all to go for one big PR race a year. It’s quite smart actually! I honestly think you’re stronger and fitter than you give yourself credit for. All of the long runs you do are surely harder than the HMB course, am I right? All I know is… you never know what’s going to happen with race day adrenaline and a happy soundtrack. Go out and enjoy, and if you PR – all the better!

Belatedly…thank you 🙂