Running on rails!

Let’s start with the big exciting news…America very kindly extended our visas for a few more years so we get to live here a little longer. Thank you so much, America. We are so grateful!!!

More time here! Thank you!
More time here! Thank you!

We have had a fantastic time so far with the parents! This weekend, we spent four days in one of my favourite parts of California, Apple Hill in the Sierra Foothills! We rented log cabins at the KOA and it was just lovely to hang out outside in the warm evenings with a bottle of chilled wine, the parents and the bugs.

Wine and s'mores!
Wine and s’mores!

I’d done some running in the week, including 9 miles on Thursday morning, but I managed to squeeze a run in whilst we were up there. The Husband came with me, which was a treat. I’d spoken to the lady in reception about the best places to run and she advised me to run along the old railway track that runs between Sacramento and Placerville. She assured me that trains no longer run and the line is being turned into a trail.

Despite her assurances, the Husband and I felt very naughty and also a little edgy running along the track the next morning. Everything in us screamed that this was an unwise move. But the line was truly derelict so we ran in peace. It was easy and beautiful on a summer morning before the temperatures soared up! ย 5.5 miles in 51 mins at a 9.11 pace!

IMG_4805
Running on railway sleepers proved pretty tricky!

The rest of the time, we basically ate, drank wine and stayed in as much water as possible to keep ourselves cool as it got up to 96F/35 C!

Our little cabin
Our little cabin
Lunch, Apple Hill style
Lunch, Apple Hill style
LOVE it up here
LOVE it up here
My favourite people at Jack Russell brewery
My favourite people at Jack Russell brewery
Our first time at the speedway!!
Our first time at the speedway!!
At Coloma
At Coloma

The parents leave on Friday. For the sake of my waistline and my fitness levels (one increasing, the other decreasing in the wrong directions), I will let them go…but it’s going to be grim at the airport! I am so happy having them here.

1. Nic J says:

You might have been running on rails, but were you cornering like you were on rails?….!
    Good to see all those happy grins! And if we ever make it out to see you, you HAVE to take me to the Jack Russell brewery… x

Mum and Dad are bringing your poster home with them. So as of next week, next time you’re in the ‘hood, pop in and they’ll have it for you!

x

1. Nicola Johnson says:

Yayyyyyyyyyyy!

2. Juli Bronzini says:

Looks so lovely! Glad you’re having a great visit! So, how many years EXACTLY is your Visa extended for? I never ask, because I don’t really want to know(:

You know, I don’t actually know. I’m waiting to get the details from the lawyers!!!

3. So glad you got to go out to the woods and relax with the folks. There’s time for exercise later. You’ve got to squeeze in as many extra chats as possible while they’re here. And I’m super impressed you ran that fast on train tracks. I’m almost positive I would trip, more than once.

I gave up quickly, actually and ran on the gravel next to the tracks. It was really hard. SO nice to have the ‘rentals here!!!

Sounds like a perfect weekend! Also, go America for re-extending the visas! (I feel like it’s kind of rare when I get to brag about something America did these days….)

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ Yeah, we are really chuffed to be staying!

5. Kristen says:

Yay more more years here! ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds like you are having a great time with your parents. I love that apple cider and Jack Russell Brewery.

I really love it up there! Such a nice part of the state.

So glad we get to keep you all longer (we being America, I can share)! Looks like it has been a wonderful time with the parents. I went to that Brewery with my in laws last time we were in Sacramento. It is very cute. Just as an update- I am still planning to come for the marathon- though it may take me a day and a half to complete. I will have to purchase a new flight ticket since I no longer live in Illinois and will do this at the beginning of the month (moving is expensive- do not love that). I will buy one for the same dates but the times may change a bit- sorry for all the changes. Can’t wait for my West Coast running vacation!!!!!

I’m excited too. No worries at all, let me know about dates. I’m likely to be in Colorado until the Wednesday before you arrive – hoping the altitude bags me a PR! Might be a Thurs am flight home so aim for Thurs pm at SFO!! It’s going to be fab. You take as long as you want on the marathon – we’re having a BBQ at a friend’s house afterwards ๐Ÿ™‚

7. alisyn says:

So much fun reading your recap of visiting my neck of the woods! Looks like you had a great time! I don’t fancy the rail trail much, but would love to take you on some other trails when you visit again. Congrats on your extended stay here in the states, very exciting!

I love it up there…you’re so lucky to live there! Hopefully we’ll get to run up there some time! I have a few more years now ๐Ÿ™‚