The time I bailed on my long run!

Last week was pretty manic at our house. As I mentioned, it was Vacation Bible Camp at our church and both the Dude and I were involved. I am TOTALLY out of practice at getting out the house early with a Dude. So it was a little crazy. But seriously wonderful.

VBC church

In addition, I spent the afternoon looking after a friend’s little boy when she had to make an emergency trip back to the UK.

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS I DID NOT HAVE TWIN BOYS!

There WAS running however. EVENING running which is nice in some ways but difficult in others. I did an easy six miles on Tuesday and then speed-work on Thursday. The speed work was (unsurprisingly) hard but I managed to do 6 miles in 51 mins at 8.32 pace which I was really pleased with.

As such…I was totally unprepared for the rubbishness of Saturday’s long run. 12 miles were on the cards and I got to run them in Golden Gate Park on a sunny (but not hot) afternoon. Should have been perfect. I left my boys at the Academy of Sciences and set off…and immediately I know it would not be perfect. Heavy legs, a poorly tummy, fairly strong winds and the effects of eating badly all week at VBC all made this a rough run. I did get to run up Strawberry Hill – the island hill in the middle of Stow Lake. I’d wanted to do that for a long time and I really enjoyed the long steady climb on a trail which wound its way up like a corkscrew. I also enjoyed the run down as well. But apart from that, my tired legs and I were the very embodiment of ‘sluggishness’, except for a dreadful few minutes when the aforementioned poorly tummy required immediate (IMMEDIATE) attention. I’m afraid that I bailed totally at mile 10 and I actually don’t regret it at all.

View from Strawberry Hill
View from Strawberry Hill

On Sunday we went hiking with friends in the Marin Headlands, just over the Golden Gate Bridge. About 5 miles in grey, foggy weather – it reminded me a lot of Scotland. As we started down Rodeo Valley trail to the car, two trail runner dudes came past us. My little boy (high on a lollipop sugar rush) dashed after him – the Husband and I were obliged to follow. My Dude ran with these guys for just under two miles. I was so proud!!!   And I got 2 final miles in this week chasing them!

IMG_4665
Bobcat Trail. No bobcats spotted, alas.
IMG_4669
If you looked east, the skies were blue!
IMG_4674
The Husband in red, two random runner guys and…leading the way…a small figure in green!

Tomorrow, on the Tour de France (which a Brit is leading still, yay) it’s a rest day. I’ll be imitating them and resting – my legs are done!

1. Nic J says:

The sign of an experienced runner – knowing when to keep going and knowing when to quit. You can’t fight a poorly tummy…
    How are you doing with running in warm weather? It is BAKING over here (and this is NOT a complaint!!) so although I’m not working (yay) I’m having to get up early (boo) to have an attempt at doing some miles. Bizarre to find it is 18-20 C at 8am… Still – 6.5 miles done this morning, although with a rubbish time as the heat is so sapping. Any tips? x

Oh I thought of you on Saturday. My ‘immediate’ need for the loo did NOT enable me to find a loo and I had a dramatic MRP in a bush. And I had no loo-roll so had to use leaves and grass, and was terrified I’d get poison oak on my nether regions. But all is good.
      Running in the heat? My best advice would be to get up early, carry liquids and wear sunscreen. Hardly world shattering but the best things I do. I run at 6am when it’s going to be hot…and that’s grim.

1. Nic J says:

Had one of those myself just recently. Annoyingly, I was only about 1/4 mile from home, but needs must, and all that. Hurrah for taking tissues everywhere! (for info, worst one was in Salisbury, where I ended up in the bottom of someone’s garden – heavily overgrown, in my defence. I have never been so mortified or ashamed, and took me about 6 months to do that route again!)
        Another 3 miles done this morning, and PRP taken care of before heading out!

I love the MRP stories on this thread. Makes my heart glad. Carried loo-roll this morning.

2. Juli Bronzini says:

Oh my goodness. It sounds like quite a run on Saturday! It’s happened to the best of us I’m afraid. I’ve been meaning to tell you- I did my Friday run on a treadmill as my sister-in-law took me to her very swanky gym on a guest pass. I didn’t go far- only 4 miles since it was about 9:30 at night, but it was total torture! I. hate. Treadmills. It’s been about 5 years since I’ve been on one and I hope it will be another 5 until I have to do it again! Glad you didn’t get poison oak anywhere!

Treadmills are grim. I use them two or three times a year at most. If you use them for intervals (i.e. 1/4 mile normal speed, 3/4 miles faster or variants of) they’re not too bad, but they’re fairly awful otherwise. Yes, phew about the poison oak escape.

Wow, sounds like quite an eventful week! Sorry to hear about your bad run on Saturday – especially the part about not being able to find a bathroom. Yikes! Well, I’ve definitely been there before… at least you didn’t get stung by any yellowjackets like I did. 😉

HA!!!!! Now I can’t stop laughing.

Ahhhhhh Strawberry Hill!!! Every year I’m like, “This year, I will run up Strawberry Hill more often.” Guess how often that happens. I love Stow Lake, though!

I really liked it. Steady climb, hard but not too hard. I was less keen on the unleashed pitbull at the top, but that’s another story. I love Stow Lake too – have you tried the piroshkies at the cafe? So good!