Mid-year check-in

Somehow we’re at the end of June (more or less) and half way through the year. How did that happen? Pre-school finishes today – I’m going to have two whole months  to hang out with my favourite Dude! I’m excited about it. However I will miss the ease of having some mornings to myself to fit my long runs in. So yesterday I went out for my last Runday Tuesday of the year. On a Wednesday.

It was my first ‘long run’ since the SF Half. I wanted to cover 10 miles and wasn’t at all concerned about pace. Just as well – Nike Plus told me I’d run my first (uphill) mile in 5.02. Awesome – but not true. Nike Plus was well off today in terms of mileage. I had no set route plan, so meandered around up some big hills in the hot weather and the surprising humidity. I ended up doing 9.1 miles in 1.38 at a 10.48 pace, which given the heat and hills is about right. No worries. It was fun!

I thought I’d post a quick review of my 2013 goals as well, and how I’m progressing towards them. This may be of interest to no-one but me, but it’s personally a useful exercise, so here we go.

1)    4 half marathons including one trail.

2 down – Oakland and San Francisco. Signed up to Crystal Springs Trail in August and Half Moon Bay in September. There may be another half in September as well, dependent on guest plans.

2) PR at the half marathon – 1.55 or below.

Yeah baby. 1.53.57 🙂

finish line 5

3)  A sub-53 10k.

I’ve just signed up for the 10k at the inaugural Berkeley Half (if that makes sense) in November. Excited already. Confident I can hit 53 – I would like to hit 50:xx if poss.

4) A sub-25 5k.

This was surprisingly ambitious (an 8.01 pace). What was I thinking? Anyway…I’ll be doing this in November or December.

5) A relay.

Darn you, Another Mother Runner, for not picking me and Juli and our amazing application. But a number of you might be up for Ragnar SoCal in February so that would be worth waiting for!

6) Local running buddies

I feel so much happier about this than I did in January.  And you know who you are. Thank you 🙂

7) 6 Trail runs

Done x 6 already. They won’t be the last.

Trails

8) 6 x Yoga classes

Hmmm. Not yet.

9) 6 x Zumba classes

Hmmmmm. Not yet either.

10) A bike tour

Scheduled for October.

Dude sleeping cycling

11) Read 6 novels.

Done. I’ve read x books including novels this year. My favourites so far were: my all time favourite novel which I reread – Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita and Murakami’s 1Q84 which was WEIRD but somehow compelling.

12) Watch 6 Foreign Films.

2 down. The amazing, bizarre Japanese ‘Battle Royale’ and the fabulous French ‘Untouchables’.

13) Camping x 4

One down – Apple Hill although we cheated and rented a cabin at the last minute.  But this summer is basically blocked out with camping trips, starting on Friday!

An unwritten goal was to run 1,000 miles. I’m more bothered about running wisely so that my body and head don’t get exhausted with running, but if I can, I’d like to run a thousand. By the end of June I’ll have run 616 miles this year so I’m on track.

Trainers header

Okay – second half of the year…I’m coming for you!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Mid-year check-in

Nice progress!! I was also just thinking about my 2013 goals and writing a report, but you beat me to it. 🙂 I haven’t looked at the Berkeley 10K course, but the half course is super flat and easy (i.e., PR-friendly). The only issue is the headwind down by the water.

Also, I’m glad I’m not the only one struggling in this heat and humidity. Guess it might be time to bump up my morning runs.

2. Brianna says:

It looks like you are well on your way to making those goals!! Congrats on the one’s that you have already reached! Good luck on the Berkley 10K. I am sure you will get your 10K PR there. I was actually thinking of signing up for the Berkley half because it looks fast and I haven’t run a sub 2 hour half in over two years. Your SF 2nd half has inspired me to try for a PR or at a finishing time of one hour and fifty something in the half marathong 🙂

• Brianna says:

whoops half marathon 🙂

I am so glad my recent PR has inspired you, bearing in mind that your strategy at the same race was what got me there! You’ve made my day. DO sign up for Berkeley Half, it looks great and this week is cheapest to sign up. Maybe we can say hi!
      And I LOVE the idea of a half-marathong. Gives me all kinds of thoughts about bottoms and running underwear 🙂

• Brianna says:

I pulled the trigger and signed up for the half!!! I will definitely look for you to say hi! I don’t have a lot of running friends and often end up racing by myself so it would be nice to see a familiar face in the crowd 🙂
        I know the “Marathong” would be a great name for someone designing running undergarments 🙂

Fantastic, really excited about it now! We’ll have to try and meet up! Let’s email nearer the time!

You should TM Marathong 😉

3. Juli Bronzini says:

That’s a long-ass list!!! I haven’t been to a yoga class since pregnant with Gregg, but would love to go again at some point. Good work thus far! I ran 4 lousy miles in the humidity yesterday and literally, almost died. Today was a bit better though… And as for a marathong….(:

4. Awesome goals and great progress! I am sure you will hit all of them or at least most of them by the new year.

You are kickin some butt on your goals. I bet your shorter distance goals are well within reach. A relay sounds like so much fun. I am thinking So Cal would be amazing and am totally in if there is still space. Speaking of relays,you have to watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL1hLU_LBvs
    So funny! We runners are so nuts.

I loved 1Q84!! Super bizarre, but still a great read. 🙂

Good luck with the rest of your goals!

7. I personally love reading other people’s goal updates! You are killing the trail running for the year, and camping has been one of our big goals for the year too. We’ve only been a couple of times, but seeing as how we’ve never been as a family before this year, I’m super happy! And the 1k miles is easily within reach. Wish you lived here so we could go to Zumba (haven’t been in forever) and yoga classes together!

Me too….I need someone to drag me to zumba and yoga. I WANT to do them both but never get round to organising myself!

Can’t believe your friends ran Western States. I was convinced it would be cancelled, it was unbearably hot this weekend.