A week in my shoes….May 17th

So, as I said on Wednesday, this week was the start of Buckling Down – the last 32 days before the SF Half Marathon, where I would love to PR. I’d had two easy weeks – shorter mileage, no pressure, stopping to take photos. It was fab. But now, it was time to start training.

Tuesday – 11.4 miles

I meant to run 10 miles, alternating normal/fast miles. That worked beautifully for the first seven miles, maybe eight. My splits were nice, running was lovely, I’m going to crush SF. And then it wasn’t nice, the last few miles were very hilly, it got very hot….you can imagine the fun. It was a (much needed) reminder that I can hand-write all the training plans I want, and stick them on my fridge, but it’s not going to be fun and games all the time. The death march also went on longer than I’d anticipated! Darn! 11.4 miles in 1.42 at 8.59 pace.

My legs were tired ALL DAY!

Thursday – 6 miles tempo

Oooh, several new things today. 1) Rain in May. 2) A new route. 3) A new workout. I aimed to do 2 sets of ‘1 mile normal speed, 2 miles fast’. So that’s what I did. It was unsuprisingly quite hard – that second fast mile was tough, both times round. But I pushed on, repeating Page’s mantra of ‘Baby or Warrior’ which I LOVED and somehow did my fastest ever 6 miles.  6 miles in 51. 56 at 8.38!!

In other running news…if you need a new running blog to follow and a new running heroine, I’ve just found this blog – Zoe Goes Running. She’s going to run the entire Tour de France route. Running, cycling, France and TdF in one blog? It’s my idea of heaven.

Also, the Husband read an article which recommended foam rolling for his Achilles Tendonitis. So he asked me to go to a running shop and buy one. With pleasure, my love. I have NEVER foam rolled, although it seems like an obsession with other runners. I am a little dubious, have to be honest.

So now we’re the proud owners of a very orange rolling thing. The Dude and the cat are fascinated. The cat is excited it’s the same colour as he is. And it already has some Christmas tree stickers on it!

IMG_7835
You look away for two minutes and your new roller is feeling festive!
IMG_7838
Everyone insisted in posing with the roller!

Yay or nay for rolling?? What should I roll?

I also made the mistake of going into Lululemon and trying on the running skirt with the ruffles. My word, it’s gorgeous, I felt like a total fox. But I can’t stand Lululemon. What to do? Ethics or ruffles??? Aaaagh.

1. Well, I have some of the ruffles, but I agree that I should try and avoid that store more. I like their sports bras (when they’re on sale). I don’t so much like the shorts under their skirts. They kind of annoy me with that rubbery strip because it doesn’t really work, plus it’s weird and sticky. Instead of getting stuck down, the shorts get stuck up.

And I love to roll my glutes! It feels so good (but bad, but good). And my coach said the same thing, that I should be rolling the crap out of my calves to help my achilles. So far, so good!

Hmm…interesting about the sticky bits on the short. I thought that it should work well but maybe not. The rolling is going well…although the noises that came out of my husband as he rolled embarrassed me in case the neighbours thought we were doing other things! SO much noise 😉

1. aleksruns says:

I agree, the silicone lining doesn’t work! I have the skirt in size 6 (tall) if you want it. It’s still too short for me and I hate it. It may look good from behind, but the front rides up — in addition to the underpants riding up! For that darn price, I could’ve bought two skirts from SkirtSports (on sale), which I love! Anyhoo.

Rolling is awesome 🙂 The more it hurts, the more you need it 🙂

Okay, thanks for the review. I shall avoid the ruffles and pretend to be taking the moral stance 🙂

You’re lucky you’ve never had to roll — most people I know get a belated intro to the foam roller via their IT band issues. I roll almost religiously, mostly while I’m sitting around watching TV/movies. It makes me feel productive. 🙂 I think it’s been most helpful for my ankle, hip/glute, and IT band. It also makes for a pretty good core workout in certain positions! Anyway, I wrote a post about rolling last year — there’s an article I linked to that talks about the science behind rolling/massage: http://jensrunningblog.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/rollin-with-my-foamies/

As for Lululemon – yes I have a love/hate relationship with them as well. So freakin’ expensive and sort of cult-like in their retail approach. However, I do think they have some well-designed, one-of-a-kind stuff that you can’t find elsewhere, and the customer service is impeccable. I got extra long 2 tanks at the outlet in Gilroy (at a super steep discount) and the Berkeley store altered them for FREE. (and not to toot my own horn again, but I also wrote a blog post about Lulu here: http://jensrunningblog.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/when-life-give-you-lululemons/)

Toot your horn as much as you like!! I shall be checking out both posts in due course!

3. I roll all the time!!! Love it. I can even tell when I don’t do it. My calf muscles become so tight and my feet cramp to no end. I thin you will enjoy it to once you start working with it. Also, I think I have made some of those noises while using!

Ruffles sound cute but daughter tells me I already own to many ruffle shirts so no ruffle skirts for me.

One more thing… I know you will rock the SF half!!

Thank you! I really appreciate the confidence!! I’m going to start youtubing exercises with the roller as I don’t think we’re doing it right!

Love rolling- mostly my back but hamstrings too. I like to put it length wise down my back and stretch out my chest. I also have a stick thing and that works pretty well on the quads and calves. I have never tried anything from Lululemon and don’t really have an opinion about them so can’t help you there. But with so many running skirts out there maybe there are some ruffle ones from a different store?

Yeah. RRS do some ruffles but the shorts underneath are only 2.5 inches and that’s not going to work on my British thighs.

Saw several lululemon ruffle skirts today- oh my gosh they are super cute. I want one. You may just have to embrace the cuteness:). My American thighs also need more coverage:)

Love the Trigger Point! Definitely the Cadillac of foam rollers. I have one but don’t use it enough & was yelled at by my current PT for it. Apparently it helps flush out the metabolic by-products & prevents all the fascial scar tissue. I try to do my hamstrings, gluts, & IT bands, but he’s also suggested lower back (which I have yet to try).

(Sshhh, don’t tell anyone, but I can’t stand Lululemon either. Sooner or later I feel like the internet is going to find out & shut down my running blog….)

We share a guilty secret!

It feels like everyone’s into rolling and thus we should be too! I can’t quite figure it out – I feel like an evening with some Youtube videos may be in order!