A few months ago,I posted a recipe for a good veggie burger. Well I’ve found a better one – I think it might be THE veggie burger to end all veggie burgers. The Dude and The Husband both love them, they look like beef burgers and taste amazing! Try them. I got them from A Cup of Jo and have made a few amendments – my version is below. The seal of approval will be when/if my strongly pro-meat father likes them when he (reluctantly) tries them in August! I think they’re amazing!
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tbsp miso paste
Half a red onion, finely chopped.
8oz brown mushrooms (cremini/portobello etc)
Dash low-sodium soy sauce
Red pepper flakes
1 glove garlic, minced
Dash mirin (optional)
1/2 cup panko or regular breadcrumbs
1. Put the walnuts and miso paste in a blender and whirr into a paste. Set aside.
2. Put the mushrooms in the (now empty) blender and whirr into tiny pieces.
3. Heat olive oil and cook the onion until softened.
4. Add the mushrooms, soy sauce and red pepper flakes and cook for a few minutes. I find that the mushroom mixture gets a little sloppy so I mop the pan with kitchen roll until it’s dryer. Add a splash of mirin if you fancy it, and mix round.
5. Add the walnut/miso mixture and a squirt of honey and stir till combined. Place in a medium bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes.
6. Add the egg and the panko/breadcrumbs and combine. Put in fridge and chill for 15 mins.
7. Form into burgers – this makes four or five, depending on the size you fancy. Heat oil in the frying pan and cook like any burgers. They take 5 mins or so – until they’re as done as suits you!
Enjoy…these are fab!