New threads for Spring!

One day, when I was in the UK last month, I was about to head out for a run bundled up against the British Winter in every layer I could lay my hands on. I would be warm enough, but I looked like a dog’s dinner!

IMG_5973
British winter running outfit.                                                  Ninja Princess? Or Dog’s Dinner. You decide.

My Mother surveyed me thoughtfully and said:

‘Some girls look really good when they run, don’t they….’

The unspoken end to that sentence was… ‘but not you, my dearest daughter’.

My Mum has a point. I look at some runner girls – long, sleek, perfect highlights, decked out in Lululemon and I have NOTHING in common with them. Which is fine, I generally don’t mind. But sometimes I think it would be nice to look a bit foxier when I run.

Recently, I seem to have accumulated some very nice new running threads, more or less cost-free. I’ve not worn many of them yet as it’s not quite warm enough for them…but the time is drawing closer!!!

1) This little blue number

If you ever shop at Sports Authority, it’s worth joining their loyalty scheme as you get quarterly money-off coupons and a $10 coupon for your birthday month. So I cashed them in on this little sale item and I LOVE it. I’m not usually a fan of blue but I love this shade, and I particularly love the little key pocket in the side.

IMG_8859

2) BRIGHT socks

I had some credit at my running store from swapping running shoes so spent it on these Asics socks. I’m not a socks snob but I really like how these feel and I love how bright they are.

IMG_8855

3) Gap-frenzy

Some friends of mine bought me a gorgeous, foxy Gap running outfit for my birthday but I couldn’t squeeze my calves into the compression tights. So I took them back and as it’s not really ‘tights’ weather here, I swapped them for two tops! Look how beautiful these things are! The pink one in the middle was the other part of my birthday present.

IMG_8858
LOVE the backstraps on the black top on the left!

And whilst I was there, I spent some money on these shorts. They are VERY long but they fit really nicely so I’m going to have them taken up by a tailor to be shorter! I’m excited by them.

IMG_8861

4) Oiselle Long Rogas

I wore these on my Magic Run on Saturday and as I said then, I really liked them. I like the fit, I like how they seriously don’t ride up and chafe, I like how they looked on me. They are NOT long, despite the name…but they are the perfect length for me. They are a little snug in terms of fit, but so far I like them lots.

IMG_8860
Warning: The Long Rogas are NOT long!

5) Nike Vomero 7

My running shop very sweetly let me exchange the unsuitable Brooks Glycerins for the new Nikes. They are VERY purple (which I like). The Dude opened the box and breathed, ‘Wow, they’re AMAZING’. I’m not going to try them till after Oakland this weekend – don’t want to tempt shin fate.

IMG_8862

So there you are. I’m going to look slightly less scruffy when I run now. Come on sunshine, I’m ready for you!

(And don’t forget that the coolest, bravest, most stylish runners all hang out in Tokyo!)

1. I Love the Long Roga’s too. They’re so silky and soft and so light I almost feel like I’m wearing nothing. Your Gap finds are adorable as well, I like the back straps… it’s all about the details!

Isn’t it!! That’s my likely top for Sunday’s half marathon but I’ll put a bra underneath which may spoil the lines a bit. Ugh!!!

2. Lauren says:

I love all the new warm weather gear! I have one pair of Rogas and am surprised by how much I love them! They fit so well and never get in the way while I’m running. I just wish it were warm enough around here that I could wear tanks/shorts outside…

Thanks for the comment!!! Yeah, after a few weeks running in the UK in Feb, I was especially happy to come back to occasional short/tank weather. It’s often not quite that warm yet but we’re close to it!!

Is “Dog’s Dinner” British slang? (I think I understand what it means, but just wondering.)

Love all of the cute clothes! I know what you mean about trying to look a bit more “foxy” while running. That’s part of the reason I’ve accumulated a couple of cute tops and shorts this year. I already had my Oakland outfit planned out (silver Lulu tank with Rogas shorts) when I found out that we’re supposed to wear our bright blue shiny RBO shirts! Ugh. So much for looking cute on Sunday!

Yes, ‘dog’s dinner’ means a total mess. Which is how I feel most of the time now I’m a mum 😉

Gutting about the tshirts…tshirts are generally not flattering. I look shocking in them!! I’m still deciding my Sunday outfit…I will prob change my mind three or four times 🙂

Cute running stuff! Running clothes are the only clothes I like to buy which becomes pretty obvious once you see the other clothes I own. I can’t wait until I can run in a tank again. Nothing but pants and layers going on here. Over winter- over it.

That’s one of the good things about being a stay-at-home-mum…running/workout clothes are totally acceptable as everyday wear!!! You guys must be so fed up with winter…i smell a trip to CA coming on 🙂