Every now and again, a run comes along that is just perfection in a pair of running shoes. On Saturday, I had that run.
Peaked too soon, eh?
I decided (for various reasons) not to do a long run this weekend but to do two shorter runs and do my long run this coming Tuesday. (If you think this is a bad plan, bearing in mind the Oakland Half next Sunday, don’t tell me). On Saturday afternoon, I put on some new clothes including my Oiselle Long Rogas, and set out for 8 miles. Rogas seem to be the running shorts of choice for most speedy bloggers, I wondered if they might give this slow girl wings. They did. It was seriously effortless from the start. Utterly blissful. I worked hard but just floated along happily. For about half the run I had a good tailwind and I only had a direct headwind for a mile or so – this would have helped my time. But I ended up doing 8 miles in 1.08.28 at a 8.33 pace. Yep!! 8.33! I know!!
I attribute this blinding run to the following:
1) Oiselle Rogas Their Speedy-Running-Blogger-Magic rubbed off on me. But nothing else rubbed. The no-chafe promise held true. I really like them. I felt really foxy on this run – my new top and new shorts gave me real confidence. The pink ones at Runningwarehouse are calling my name.
2) Tailwind. I have some help from Above. And behind.
3) New music. Whatever happened to the Backstreet Boys? Because I had a BB marathon on my playlist today and they were amazing. “Backstreet’s back’ is a blinding piece of music! And they all seem to have the same beat which miraculously matched my footfall. I also had the new Taylor Swift song ‘Knew you were trouble’. My love for Taylor Swift is increasing, I know this will disturb many of you. And Fatboy Slim’s ‘Right here, right now’ came as I turned into the headwind and helped me push on!
4) Sunshine. The weather was gorgeous. At one point ‘California Dreaming’ came on my iPhone. I was speeding along next to the bay in the sunshine watching two white egrets courting and I wondered how on earth this Wiltshire girl ended up lucky enough to live here.
5) Training I have picked my training up a lot in the past few weeks. Notably, my long runs have been hilly and hard, and my two treadmill sessions have been flipping tough as well. Is this the hard work paying off?
6) ‘The time of the month’ Without going all ‘ewww’ on you, this is the ‘good’ week of my month. The week when I feel good and happy and sleek and foxy. I wonder if it made a difference.
Anyway. I was seriously buzzing at the end of this run. Buzzing like a bumble bee on acid. SO buzzy.
On Sunday, it was time for a shorter run. As expected, my four miles felt slow and sluggish. I ran them in 36.05 so a 9.01 pace – not shabby at all. But they felt a little shabby. Never mind…the Saturday buzz lives on.
Anyway…in other scenes from the weekend…
The Husband got back from Mexico 10lbs lighter (he wasn’t very well) and determined to keep it off. He is now signed up for the Apple Hill 10k in April AND the SF Half in June. He ran 3 miles on Saturday before I even woke up. I am now married to a runner. This is very exciting.
To help keep the weight off, he went straight out and bought a ‘walking treadmill’ from Craigslist. It has a maximum speed of 4mph but has a desk so we can type as we walk. It is GINORMOUS and has somewhat altered the appearance of our bedroom. My views on the treadmill are mixed. The Dude however is thrilled.
We had an England v Wales 6 Nations Rugby party. England lost. Let’s move on.
The Husband and I had a date night to the cinema to watch ‘Silver Linings Playbook’. I liked it very much – my girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence continues!! The movie even had running in it!
I helped host a baby shower for my lovely friend Dana.
So. Not a bad weekend!!!