And the award goes to:

Saucony Ride 5 for ‘My Right Shin’!!!

Seriously,what is going on with the Shin from Hell?

Let’s recap. Thursday…pain. Not insignificant amounts. So I drop out of the Lake Chabot Half as the wise thing to do.

NOT so wise is to aim to run 11 miles instead, but that’s what I tried on Saturday morning. Instead of a trail half-marathon, I chose paved paths around my town, where I could change direction and hobble home at any point if the need arose.

It didn’t arise. To be fair, the first mile or two were a little uncomfortable. I wore my new Saucony Rides with the (expensive) insoles they sold me as well. It actually seemed to make my IT band ache, but not my shin. Very little shin pain. And by mile three, I was feeling fine. By mile five, deep in thought about something, I realised I was running normally. So I kept going and ran my 11 miles on a glorious, sunny California morning. 11 miles in 1.42 at a 9.18 pace. How did that happen, eh? The only niggle was slightly numb forefeet,I’m not sure the Glides have enough cushioning for long runs. But they did a cracking job on my shin, so I’m happy!

IMG_3836
Spring is springing in the Bay Area!

Dropping out of Lake Chabot was without doubt the wisest decision and I don’t regret it but I was a little grumpy inside when the start time came. But also, a massive thank you to the sweet people at Inside Trail who kindly allowed me to put a proportion of my fee towards another race once I’m healed.

My 11 miles put me in a VERY good mood and the rest of the weekend was a corker actually!

IMG_6655
My lovely friends put on a fantastic belated birthday dinner for me.
I felt much loved.
IMG_6651
My little boy spent his Fro-Yo gift card and ‘treated me’!
The first time he’s treated me to something. I was a little emotional.
IMG_3837
Someone wore his shades for the whole of church!
IMG_3841
Lunch at one of my favourite places – Alice’s biker cafe!

And it finished off with the Oscars. One of the best things about living in America is being able to watch them live – in the UK, you just get to look at the photos the next day. I  loved every minute of the ridiculousness!

1. That’s so cool they let you transfer some of your fee to another race! And awesome that your shin is feeling better. Also, holy wow, that is a giant group of friends for your birthday celebration. You must be a really swell person in real life too, which is what I suspected of you!

Ha.I think I’m just really lucky to have such lovely friends!! But thanks!

2. Sounds like a great weekend. I hope you figure out what is causing the pain.

I’m confident it’s due to the wrong shoes and I hope that sorting that out quickly should sort it!!! Let’s hope so!

I really am beginning to suspect that your shin is bipolar! Well, anyway, I hope it stays at bay. And how nice of Inside Trail to transfer some of your race fees. I was just looking at the Woodside Ramble or China Camp race… what do you think about those?

That’s so funny. We’re watching ‘Homeland’ and I desperately wanted to describe my shin as bi-polar but was worried it would be offensive.But yes it IS bi-polar!
      I’m doing Coastal Trail Run’s Woodside Run in August (do it too?) but China Camp is a def possibility.

I was thinking about doing the Dirt n’ Skirt 25K in August. It all depends on whether I get in to the Marine Corps Marathon or not.

I fancy that one too. Let’s wait and see about MCM and then decide!!

OH man all I can think about is froyo now. Haven’t had that in forever. Glad the shin is feeling better!

Thanks! And FREE fro yo is even better!

Glad they let you defer part of your fee — that’s great!

& belated happy birthday! 🙂

Yeah, that was kind of them! And happy birthday back! Hope you had a great weekend.