A week in my shoes…Feb 22nd

Oh shin, shin from hell.Ugh.

Let’s recap.

Saturday: 10 mile long run      But you knew about that!

Monday: Stroller run.

A 4 mile stroller run with the Dude to Wholefoods to buy some sprinkles so we could make these delicious chocolate things. Minimal shin pain. Wore Saucony Rides. I am smitten with their aqua beauty and hoping desperately that they work out.

Wednesday: 6 miles

An early morning run.I am SO motivated to run in the morning now it’s light again. NO pain.  Just 6.3 happy miles in 56.51 at a 8.54 pace.

IMG_3826

A Bay Area winter morning
A little frost on a footbridge!

IMG_3825

And some winter sun to warm your face

Thursday: 3 miles with running club

The Husband’s football game was at 10.30 (!!) so I got to go to running club. I ran the short run tonight as a test to see how my shins feel in my old Nikes. There was pain. More than I had anticipated.

All week, I had been hoping (and kind of planning on) running Lake Chabot Half on Saturday! I really want to do it. I have visions of myself bounding over the hills like a gazelle. I haven’t even been concerned about fitness, I would walk as and when I needed to. But this shin isn’t mending like I’d hoped. And I want it to mend. I want to run pain free, and soon! In addition, the Oakland Half is four weeks away – I don’t want to screw up Oakland by running injured on Saturday.I don’t want to do the Chabot 10k instead, so I’m going to drop out.

Poo.

I am a bit gutted!!  But this feels like a very wise, sensible,38-year old decision. Missing a race to be able to run happily in the future. Wise. But gutting.

On a perkier note, my Oiselle Long Roga shorts arrived this week. I fell between two sizes, so went for the smaller ones as motivation to lose the extra British weight. At present,I am still too chunky but I am thinking of Rogas every time I think about cake. Sometimes the thought even stops me indulging, I can’t wait to wear them.

Also, I bought a Living Social deal for 20 yoga lessons for $20…and somehow I got it for $10. I only need to go to one lesson to make it worthwhile…result! However they don’t have many early morning/evening classes upon inspection,so making it to one class may prove challenging. But my New Year Resolution to do six classes has taken a leap forward.

Come on shin…mend quickly, please. I have running to do!

13 Responses to A week in my shoes…Feb 22nd

So sorry about the shin pain, Cathryn. One question for you — were you mindful of your landings with the run club? I know sometimes when I run with others I don’t think as much about my form. I know that you seemed to be able to get around some shoe/pain issues when you were paying special attention to your landing. Anyway, I say all of this because I used to get shin pain in my old Adidas whenever the cushion ran out. Turns out I was heel striking like crazy (even though I didn’t think I was). Changing to the minimalist shoes forced me to stop doing that. I’m not recommending the same for you, especially 4 weeks before a race, but it’s something to consider.
    Hope you feel better soon!

You’re so right – I wasn’t paying attention to my landing and that def alleviates the pain significantly. My old Nikes are also low on cushioning, I need new ones asap. You’re a very wise runner 🙂

Ugh…I wince just reading about other people’s shin pain. Hate hate hate. For me it’s on the inside part of the shin, between the calf & ankle, just behind the bone. I know I get it more when I’m tired and when my hip / glute muscles are weak. But I have this feeling that it shows up in all kinds of places & has different causes for different people. Sometimes you just have to keep trying things!

You’re right, skipping Lake Chabot is probably the right call, but I know that doesn’t make it suck any less. 😛

So sorry about the shin pain. Missing a race is the worst but you are doing the smart thing even though it is super annoying I am sure. I bought some rogas and was way to bootylicious (blame Beyonce not me for that word) to fit into them so had to return them but motivation is good so I am sure you will be rocking them in no time!

I much prefer your being too bootiylicious for the Rogas as opposed to me being too chunky!! it’s all in the wording! and thanks for the shin sympathy. I am glum about the lack of racing, but peaceful that it’s the right decision.

4. I hope your shins feel better. I’m no doctor but I think that if you continue to run, it’ll likely slow or hinder the healing process

5. Sorry you have to drop out of a race you were looking forward to ~ sounds like you’re making the right choice.
    Pain = no fun at all. Hopefully you’ll be pain-free in 4 weeks! Ice! Elevate (that is the athletic trainer’s wife coming out in me)!
    (www.nowirun.com)

I did a lot of icing this weekend and managed a good, pain free run on Saturday in new shoes. But I know missing a trail race was the right decision, frustrating as it was! I never get round to the elevating though – does anyone??:)

6. Pingback: Running Lake Chabot | My Heart's Content