It feels like New Year’s Day again

We landed yesterday, Sunday,  in San Francisco…it’s soooo lovely to be home again. Three weeks is a long time to be away, and we’ve done it twice in the past two months! It’s lovely to be back with the Husband and Charlie the cat and in my little house again. Admittedly, I’m a little heartbroken to be so far from home, from my friends, my family and especially my wonderful parents.

But at the same time, it kind of feels like New Year’s Day all over again.

The past few months have been incredibly busy. Amazing, but busy. In October, my lovely in-laws came for three weeks. Then we had ten days and then we went to Tokyo for three weeks. Then we had ten days and it was Christmas and then New Year. Then we had two weeks and we went to the UK for three weeks. I am TOTALLY not complaining, we have had an incredible couple of months. But at the same time, I am excited about a period of normal life again.

Normal Life will include a few big things.

1) Serious running.

IMG_2896

To be honest, since Healdsburg in October, I feel like I’ve slacked a LOT on the running. Every time I’ve moved back into ‘training mode’ and started making progress, I’d slack off again, due to travel, jet-lag, other commitments and frankly, just being lazy. I owe any discipline that I’ve maintained to this blog and you readers, so thank you SO much.  However now I want to ramp it up. Lake Chabot Half is in two weeks time…it’s just a ‘training run with a medal’ but at the moment, I’m not in decent shape to do it any honour at all and I want to change that.

2) Food.

Let’s just say that I am six pounds heavier now than the day I flew to the UK. People fed me WELL and I went back for seconds a LOT. Which was fun. But when you’re 5’1, six pounds shows and it’s also not healthy. So I need to lose that.

What I looked like and felt like this week. Minus the running.
How I feel right now

More importantly, today marks the start of Meat-Free Month. I’m going to be going veggie for a month, with a view to giving up meat completely. This has been on my mind for a long time and I’m so excited about it. However I’m trialling it for a month first because I don’t really know what I’m letting myself in for! My motivation is primarily the amount of land, water and grain that we in the West devote to meat. I don’t think this is sustainable. But also, people with vegetarian diets are significantly less likely to die of heart disease and frankly, I’ll take any help I can get!! This article was really helpful. However I totally promise not to become one of those annoying new converts!! No preaching.

I am SO excited about this – I woke up this morning feeling like it was the first day of the rest of my life! It feels like a really big moment!!

IMG_6571
My last steak, with a stilton & port sauce.
Worth commemorating.

So. Forgive me for this long, very self-indulgent ramble. The basics are:

1) Home again

2) Serious running now.

3) No meat.

4) Thanks for all your encouragement to keep me running during a busy period!!

x

Welcome home! Good luck getting back into the swing of things, and also with your meat-free month. I try to have meatless meals as much as I can, for the same reasons (environment and health). There’s a great vegan blog that I like called Post-Punk Kitchen – I swear that the author, Isa Chandra, is a food genius! The stuff I’ve made from there is among the best food I’ve ever had, vegan or not. Here is one of my favorite recipes of all time: http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/red-lentil-thai-chili/

I think you’ve mentioned this site before – thank you for reminding me, I’ll check it out now!! Just been for my first California run – oh my word, the sunshine!

3. aleksruns says:

Oh my. No meat. For a MONTH! I don’t think I could do that! I’ve been thinking about doing Meatless Monday forever, but keep forgetting (seriously).

And welcome back! Isn’t it nice and sunny here? 🙂

Oh the sunshine! And the blue skies. I feel like a different girl already! Yeah, the meat-free month is a challenge but I’m excited about it. But that’s why I’m trialling it for a month rather than going veggie right now!!

4. Alisyn says:

Welcome home! I see you will also be at Lake Chabot! Hoping I will see you there!

That would make my day!! See you then, hopefully.

5. Love the header on your Blog. The previous one was great, too.

6. Welcome home! Or away from home, whichever.:) I’m excited to see how your meatless month goes. And in the back of my mind I always try and convince myself that races can be just for fun, but on race day, I turn into a beast. A slower beast. But I still always end up wanting to race. I admire you guys who can stick to you guns on really using runs as training runs and not breaking yourself just to shave a second off of your time. Teach me!

I think I’ll HAVE to stick to my guns, I’m so out of shape that I won’t get round if I don’t pace myself!! But I’ll pretend I’m just really well disciplined 🙂

Welcome back!! This is how I always feel after the holidays. It will get better!!

It’s so nice to be back…just need to get through the jet-lag. I feel like I’m permanently jet-lagged at the moment!

I am glad you had fun in the UK. You have been insanely busy the last few months and yet have kept running- that is impressive stuff. The hubs and I went mostly vegan this year (some cheese and chocolate sneaks its way in sometimes). Before that I was mostly vegetarian. I have found going to ethnic grocery stores has helped me find some fun and meatless dinner options that I had never considered before. Also if you have a Trader Joe’s near you they often label all their vegan/ vegetarian stuff which makes it easy- less annoying label reading. But you probably know all this :).

I know nothing, I’m a little clueless. I bought a dummie’s guide today to help me out. Thanks for the TJ tip!!!