Running to Stonehenge

Since the Longleat 10k, I’ve had a very slack week when it comes to running. I had some shin pain after the races so wisely ditched my plans for a recovery run on Monday. Then we went to Paris on Tuesday…and then Wednesday and Thursday I was just a slacker. No excuses. So today I wanted to make up for a lazy week by running 9 miles. I haven’t run 9 miles since I came to the UK and I was a little concerned that I’d lost too much fitness – I have a half-marathon in three weeks’ time. So I wanted to see how I did today.

My parents live 2 1/2 miles from Stonehenge, as the bird flies but it occurred to me recently that I’d never run there. So I set out to run to Stonehenge and back.  I purposefully ran slow and steady. I had some leg pain again – it feels muscular rather than skeletal, tucked behind the shin on my right leg. This is the leg I broke, I’ve had numerous problems with it since. I’m also wearing new-ish shoes without the insert that I used for my old shoes, and I feel like I need the structure that the insert gave me, even though the guys at my running shop told me it gave me no structure at all. I don’t know.  So today I focussed on landing my foot in the right place and little by little the pain went away and I had a pain-free run. Great!!!

The sunrise today was spectacular.  I ran up through my village, passing a fox freshly killed on the road. So beautiful, so sad. I wanted to cry a bit. I ran through the next little town and then veered off on the chalk and mud track to Stonehenge. Lots of mincing round vast mud puddles. And then I got there. I love Stonehenge and decided to go back later with the Dude.

Good morning, Wiltshire
No filters on this…colours by God!
My running trail to Stonehenge, in the distance

Back up the track to Larkhill, through the ugly army camp, across a field back to the nicer part of the place and then back home. Someone had moved the fox. I ran a little loop through my village and then finished at my front door.

It was a much better run than I had expected. My legs felt fresh, I felt strong-ish to the end. I was vastly relieved…Lake Chabot doesn’t feel out of my reach any more. 9.3 miles in 1.28.47 @ 9.32!!!

Later that morning, the Dude and I went to Stonehenge again.

Whilst I posed in my (extra large) Running shop/club t-shirt for their FB page, someone small made a dash under the security cordon for the stones!!

And here are a few snaps of the past few days here in Wiltshire.

Happy Birthday Mummy…
I would die for this hand-made shepherd’s hut.
It has a log-burning stove, a glass front wall and it smells of freshly cut wood.
The Dude and I went pottery painting. He painted an enormous, very heavy racing car. Looking forward to carrying that back to California.

That is so cool. Now I want to visit your parents so I can run to Stonehenge!!

They would love to have you. Just come when it’s a bit warmer!!

That looks/sounds amazing!! I can’t believe your parents live so close to Stonehenge! Also – great job on a tough run. One word of advice for Lake Chabot: HILLS. I think you’re cardiovascularly fit enough to run the course; it usually comes down to a matter of strength. And Lake Chabot has some real doozies! All that muddy running is probably doing you lots of favors. 🙂

Yeah…hills could be a killer. I need to get my head around the fact that I may need to walk at some point and that it will be a slow time. In principle I’m happy with that but it could feel a bit odd on the day. I’m excited though!!

Mental preparation and coming up with a strategy are key, so you’re already ahead of the game. Wish I was running it with you! I’m definitely not going to be able to run it now because of the volunteer gig with RBO. Have a great time — can’t wait to see what you think of Lake Chabot!

3. I nominated you for the very inspiring blogger award. You inspire me to keep running and I love all your travels (living vicariously through you!).

Oh my word, thank you so much!!! That’s the loveliest thing ever!!!

Wow what an amazing run. I am always in awe of all the amazing history in the UK, well in all of Europe really. My country is just so young :). I can’t wait until the weather gets a bit better here and I can head back outside. Though my outside is less exciting than your outside.

It’s funny, I always appreciated and loved history but it’s only now I live in such a young country that I am starting to REALLY appreciate it. However the US has much better plumbing and for that, I’m grateful!

5. Oh I love Stonehenge! I can’t even imagine how amazing it must have been to run there.

It was fun!! I got a real buzz out of it. NO idea why I haven’t done that before!!!

6. Cate says:

That’s such a beautiful run!

Yeah, it was, even in the cold. I’m back in the Bay Area now and oh my word, the blue skies are making me happy!