Running to Stonehenge

Since the Longleat 10k, I’ve had a very slack week when it comes to running. I had some shin pain after the races so wisely ditched my plans for a recovery run on Monday. Then we went to Paris on Tuesday…and then Wednesday and Thursday I was just a slacker. No excuses. So today I wanted to make up for a lazy week by running 9 miles. I haven’t run 9 miles since I came to the UK and I was a little concerned that I’d lost too much fitness – I have a half-marathon in three weeks’ time. So I wanted to see how I did today.

My parents live 2 1/2 miles from Stonehenge, as the bird flies but it occurred to me recently that I’d never run there. So I set out to run to Stonehenge and back.  I purposefully ran slow and steady. I had some leg pain again – it feels muscular rather than skeletal, tucked behind the shin on my right leg. This is the leg I broke, I’ve had numerous problems with it since. I’m also wearing new-ish shoes without the insert that I used for my old shoes, and I feel like I need the structure that the insert gave me, even though the guys at my running shop told me it gave me no structure at all. I don’t know.  So today I focussed on landing my foot in the right place and little by little the pain went away and I had a pain-free run. Great!!!

The sunrise today was spectacular.  I ran up through my village, passing a fox freshly killed on the road. So beautiful, so sad. I wanted to cry a bit. I ran through the next little town and then veered off on the chalk and mud track to Stonehenge. Lots of mincing round vast mud puddles. And then I got there. I love Stonehenge and decided to go back later with the Dude.

IMG_6539
Good morning, Wiltshire
No filters on this…colours by God!
IMG_6542
My running trail to Stonehenge, in the distance

IMG_6544

Back up the track to Larkhill, through the ugly army camp, across a field back to the nicer part of the place and then back home. Someone had moved the fox. I ran a little loop through my village and then finished at my front door.

It was a much better run than I had expected. My legs felt fresh, I felt strong-ish to the end. I was vastly relieved…Lake Chabot doesn’t feel out of my reach any more. 9.3 miles in 1.28.47 @ 9.32!!!

Later that morning, the Dude and I went to Stonehenge again.

IMG_6560
Whilst I posed in my (extra large) Running shop/club t-shirt for their FB page, someone small made a dash under the security cordon for the stones!!

IMG_6568

And here are a few snaps of the past few days here in Wiltshire.

IMG_6496
Happy Birthday Mummy…
IMG_6522
I would die for this hand-made shepherd’s hut.
It has a log-burning stove, a glass front wall and it smells of freshly cut wood.
IMG_6516
The Dude and I went pottery painting. He painted an enormous, very heavy racing car. Looking forward to carrying that back to California.

That is so cool. Now I want to visit your parents so I can run to Stonehenge!!

They would love to have you. Just come when it’s a bit warmer!!

That looks/sounds amazing!! I can’t believe your parents live so close to Stonehenge! Also – great job on a tough run. One word of advice for Lake Chabot: HILLS. I think you’re cardiovascularly fit enough to run the course; it usually comes down to a matter of strength. And Lake Chabot has some real doozies! All that muddy running is probably doing you lots of favors. 🙂

Yeah…hills could be a killer. I need to get my head around the fact that I may need to walk at some point and that it will be a slow time. In principle I’m happy with that but it could feel a bit odd on the day. I’m excited though!!

Mental preparation and coming up with a strategy are key, so you’re already ahead of the game. Wish I was running it with you! I’m definitely not going to be able to run it now because of the volunteer gig with RBO. Have a great time — can’t wait to see what you think of Lake Chabot!

3. I nominated you for the very inspiring blogger award. You inspire me to keep running and I love all your travels (living vicariously through you!).

Oh my word, thank you so much!!! That’s the loveliest thing ever!!!

Wow what an amazing run. I am always in awe of all the amazing history in the UK, well in all of Europe really. My country is just so young :). I can’t wait until the weather gets a bit better here and I can head back outside. Though my outside is less exciting than your outside.

It’s funny, I always appreciated and loved history but it’s only now I live in such a young country that I am starting to REALLY appreciate it. However the US has much better plumbing and for that, I’m grateful!

5. Oh I love Stonehenge! I can’t even imagine how amazing it must have been to run there.

It was fun!! I got a real buzz out of it. NO idea why I haven’t done that before!!!

6. Cate says:

That’s such a beautiful run!

Yeah, it was, even in the cold. I’m back in the Bay Area now and oh my word, the blue skies are making me happy!