Grinning inside

We’re now back down south in Wiltshire, with my parents. It’s always lovely to be home. And it’s lovely to be running in Wiltshire. I’ve had two fantastic runs this week.

Wednesday: 6.5 miles

My Mum kindly had the Dude and I set out for six rural miles. Down country lanes edged with hedges and lined with thatched cottages. Past white-tailed rabbits scampering about in fields. Up and down the roller-coaster undulations of Salisbury Plain.  Glorious. It started raining half way round – cold, windy, driving rain that lashed my face. But I was grinning on the inside. I love this place. I got home soaked and chilly and the Dude ran around the house, squealing as he tried to avoid me hugging him.

IMG_6217
Lanes, hedges and cottages. Perfect.
IMG_6219
Anyone fancy living in a cottage built in 1665?
IMG_6223
Salisbury Plain facing south…
IMG_6224
And North…
IMG_6225
One extra photo because I have no self-control

Fri: 7 mile trail run.

Today’s run was very different. I ran some of the same lanes but then veered off onto the wilds of Salisbury Plain – 300 square miles of pretty much untouched land, used by the army for training. I ran on tank tracks of gravel, cinder and chalk. At one point, up on the plain and able to see around for miles, I did feel a little vulnerable – there were some lone men up there, generally with dogs. Obviously it was fine, but I felt a little alone. And then, on the way home, I ran down a bridle path I’d been excited about running but it was a total quagmire of mud after the following rains. I had to stop my watch and clamber half a mile down it. I got very muddy; I like getting muddy. It made me grin inside too. All in all, 7 miles in 1.09.11 at a 9.53 pace. Not speedy but I’ll tell you something, I worked flipping hard!!!

IMG_6307
Run with a view…
IMG_6313
Mudbath!
IMG_6315
Spring WILL come eventually…the snowdrops are out!

And finally, here’s a couple of snaps of the past few days:

IMG_6266
Beautiful Bath! I could live here!
IMG_6268
Even parked cars can’t make this city less gorgeous
IMG_6297
Helping Great-Grandad open his birthday cards – 88 today!
IMG_6226
A church in a nearby village, it dates from the 1100s.
I’m only starting now to appreciate history!

In January, I ran the dramatic total of 64 miles. Oh well…things can only improve 😉

And finally…Sunday is racing day!!! The Longleat 10k with my friend Nicola and blog-reader Madeleine!!! I am very excited. The forecast is grey and cloudy, and maybe some arctic winds but we’ll be grinning inside anyway!

1. Madeleine says:

Really looking forward to it!! Hope it’s not raining too much though.

It’ll be lovely!!! I emailed you our phone number. See you there.

2. Wow, I’m super jealous of your running paths this week! Those cottages are amazing. How did they build something that has lasted that long. Refurbishing? And that is a great pace for running trails and mud. That day I did the muddy 15K, my pace was 10:30, and I felt like I had sprinted the entire thing. Mud is no joke!

That makes me feel better…mud and trails really slow a girl down, don’t they!! I’m assuming that those cottages have been renovated several times and rethatched recently as well, but they’re stunning aren’t they! I get over my thatch-envy by reminding myself how spidery thatched cottages are!!

Amazing pictures! Thank you so much for sharing. I want to live in that cottage. And that is amazing time on trails. Muddiness and hills make it so much tougher.

Yeah, I have thatched-cottage-envy as well. But they’re very spidery, I comfort myself with that!!!

Oh gross, never mind. Spiders and I do not get along. I will stick to more modern abodes I guess.

So pretty! Seems like a really peaceful place to run. Hope you had a good race!!

5. Liz says:

Aaah that church I’m homesick! Sounds like u r having a great time. Have fun today. Xx

Thanks!!!! It’s so nice to be back.

6. runwiki says:

I enjoyed looking at your pictures. It is just gorgeous and what amazing running you have. Have fun with your trail race today, sounds like it will be muddy, but a good time!

Glad you liked the photos!!! Today’s race was on roads/paved trails after all, so we stayed relatively clean…but it was lots of fun!

7. I hope you bad a great race today! I’m a bit tired ofmy city view when running – i’d love a change of scenary like yourz!

I think we get tired of our views no matter how good they are. If all I stared at were cottages and fields, I’d crave bright lights. I know that I’m loving the change of view from my own local suburban streets!! That’s the good thing about racing really…new roads to run!!