In which your heroine gets a backbone!

By Tuesday, it had stopped snowing so we left the chilliness of Wiltshire and headed four hours north to Yorkshire and my in-laws’ for the week. The roads there are busier so had been gritted better, so running became an option. My Mother in Law kindly offered to look after the Dude, so I ran!

I did hills. My in-laws live at the top of a BIG hill. ย I ran down the hill in one direction for one mile and then slog back up. I then mustered ALL my self-discipline and hurtled down the hill in the other direction and labored back up again, before finishing with a little loop up one more hill and round a snow-covered field. All in all, 4.4 miles. I’m not timing my runs here – my iPhone is in the US and I have no idea where my running watch is. But in the snow, not falling is my priority.

It was a really tough run…hard on the quads on the way down and the calves on the way up. It’s a killer! Everything has been aching ever since, even my buttocks ;), I’ve been moving like a grandma…slowly, carefully and with whimpers. But I know that hills are good for me and I loved the challenge! And my buttocks were ROCK HARD all day. Such a shame that the Husband is so far away!

IMG_5973
My Winter Running garb…

And in the meantime…some snaps from the week.

IMG_5970
My baby watches himself when he really was my baby!
IMG_5975
I get a proper British breakfast.
Luckily I’d just run hills in the snow! No guilt!!
IMG_5984
The Dude, the MIL, the snowlady and the fireworks!

Today, we go to Leeds, our old hometown, to spend the weekend with dear friends…and I’m dragging one of them racing on Saturday!!

1. We have a town named Leeds here in Alabama! And I love your striped scarf and sweater combo. Glad you are getting in a few runs at least. I always have a hard time when I’m on vacation. You’re doing great to get something in!

Thanks… I feel a little like a failure so I appreciate your graciousness ๐Ÿ™‚ Yay for stripes…always a winner when you’re on holiday!

Hard core hill workout! Way to go. I have been doing ‘hills’ on the treadmill once a week. Somehow just not the same:).

Thanks! I was happy with this run…it felt like a proper tough-girl run!!

Nice socks!! It doesn’t get much more hard core than hills in the snow. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks! I felt really tough after this run ๐Ÿ™‚ Feels good!!

4. Madeleine says:

Are you still planning on doing Longleat 10K? I’ve entered but none of my running friends have so I’ll be on my tod!

We are definitely doing Longleat unless it’s snowing so hard we can’t get over the plain!!! I’ll catch up with my friend Nicola this week and work out timings and then let you know so we can meet up beforehand, and i’ll send you her mobile number. Really excited about it!!

6. Madeleine says:

Snow’s all gone now round here – it rained so hard last night it washed it all away. I doubt it will be snowing next weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree, we’re snowfree in Yorkshire as well. So we’re def on!