A week in my Brooks – Jan 11th

Let’s start with the new shoes, shall we?

IMG_3746

Pretty, eh? I went with the Brooks Glycerins – the Asics Nimbus didn’t feel quite pillow-like enough underfoot for me and my heavy strides. Two runs in and I really like them although it’s obviously early days. They are very plush. I am very bravely wearing them without my ProFoot PF insole, which feels very daring. The guys in my running shop basically told me that it wasn’t offering any extra support, so I thought I’d try running without it. However I do totally credit it with curing my PF last year. Anyway…so far, Me+Brooks Glycerins = Happy Runner Girl. Let’s see how this weekend’s long run goes.

Tuesday: 6 mile stroller run

It was a run of two halves. I was due to meet a friend up at Crystal Springs for a 3 or 4 miler. She’s building up to running 3 or 4 miles, so I got there early and did a ‘quick’ three miles first. It was horrible. The Dude was in my least-favourite stroller to run with – I found it free at my dumpster in perfect condition, but it weighs a FLIPPING TON! The path is also frequently on a camber. So it was heavy to run with and keep veering off at an angle. They were three of the hardest miles I’ve run for ages.

Then we got back to the start, met up with Sue and did it all over again. The Dude did a fair amount of running this time, and we stopped often to chat with some friends with new babies that we bumped into, to take photos of deer and to examine stones in puddles. But we covered the three miles!! Sue was very patient with her running companions. So six stroller miles in total!! And a mean core workout as well, due to the world’s heaviest stroller.

IMG_3742

Not a bad view for a run, eh?

IMG_3749

Friday: 5 miles

I have really struggled to be motivated to run this week, particularly to get out of bed early to run whilst the Husband is home to babysit. It’s so dark and it’s cold (relatively speaking) and whilst I want to run, I don’t want to run. I want to HAVE run, and to have that worthy feeling. But having slept in on Thursday, I finally ran on Friday morning. My motivation was so low that I promised myself a minimum of 4 miles at whatever pace wherever I fancied. I managed to find a new route, kind of, and as ever, once I was out the house, it was great. I ended up doing 8.5km in 47.44 at 9.02 pace and I felt good. I realise I run harder now than I did last year. I’m okay with the discomfort of pushing myself, instead of slowing down as I used to, I maintain the pace, I push myself. And that makes me glad.

And finally…I’m all signed up for the San Francisco 2nd-half Half-Marathon on June 16th. Prices go up this weekend, and Aron had a $10 off code on her FB page (thanks) so I signed my Sunday morning away. SO excited about it.

And that was it!

12 Responses to A week in my Brooks – Jan 11th

1. Jade says:

I can’t even carry a water bottle while I run so I can’t imagine pushing a stroller! You are awesome for doing 6 miles with it.

Thanks! It gets easier but never easy. But it’s a good way of building fitness faster! The hardest thing is that I need to keep up a conversation with my ‘passenger’ as I run. He often makes me sing and it’s exhausting 😉

Yay San Fran! That is so exciting. It is one of my favorite places. I have been wanting to try Brooks. Between you and Gina over at Behold the Turtle having good experiences with them I must need to try them next time I get new shoes:).

It’s still early days but I like them. The toe box (I think that’s what it’s called…the area where your forefoot goes) is SO wide – I have this mental image of a duck running with big wide feet when I run. But they’re comfy!!!

I’m having similar feelings re: lack of running motivation. I keep trying to tell myself that there are only 10 weeks left until Oakland and I better get my butt in gear, but it only works about half the time. But…you know what I am excited about? The SF half! I just realized today that I’ve only ever run in SF once! And that was like 5 years ago! So this will definitely be very memorable. Glad you’re running it too!

I think a couple of us are running the 2nd half, I’m really excited about it already. Glad I’m not the only one to struggle to get motivated for Oakland. I want to run it, I want to run it well…I just can’t get out of bed. I think it’s because it’s so dark in the mornings. I go to the UK this week and get back on the 10th Feb and I’m hoping that I can build up a decent base in the UK and then push it when I get home again.

4. Rachel says:

I got new shoes for Christmas and I’m in love. And that would be awesome to run a half marathon in San Fran! My husband’s from there – I really want to convince him to enter a race with me when we’re back there for a visit.

Hey, thanks for your comment! What shoes did you get? You should def do the SF Half/Full, it’s a great race. Try to persuade your husband…or maybe sneakily book some flights for the weekend of June 16th 😉

5. I hope your new shoes work out! In my newest Mizunos I didn’t put in my insert (gasp), and it is oddly working out great. I was addicted to the powerstep inserts, which are very structured. But maybe I’m in a new foot phase. And, please help, your running view is amazing! Also, I feel lucky that my husband claims mornings as his workout time so I don’t have the pressure of getting up early every day. 4:30 a.m. is my Saturday wakeup time for long runs, and I really don’t think I could pull that off every day. Some naps would be had for sure if I did!

Interesting about the insoles. We’ll see how tomorrow’s 9 miler goes…I’m a little uncertain about being insole-less. Yes, Crystal Springs is an amazing place to run, it’s so beautiful!!! I don’t get there that often but every time I do, I think I should go more.

Baaaaaaaaaah I am so behind….please forgive me…

Yes. I totally share your motivational issues. Some days I totally have to be like, “Okay, you don’t have to go far & you don’t have to go fast, but you do have to put running clothes on & go outside.”

So excited that you’re doing the SF 2nd Half!!!

Me too, ref the 2nd half!! I know that once it gets lighter in the morning and once I get back from the UK and my first half (Lake Chabot) is a few weeks away, I know I’ll swing back into the zone so I’m not too worried. Lake Chabot will be slow and ungainly and Oakland won’t be PR time but hopefully I’ll get the oomph back. I agree that if you put the clothes on, generally you make it outside!! I ran yesterday in sub-freezing temperatures, it was actually quite fun!