8 miles

This weekend’s long run was  8 miles, as I build my way back up to half-marathon fitness. I always feel like ‘long runs’ start at 9 miles, I have no idea why. But Sunday’s run was the longest I’ve run for a long time. I was going to run before church but the morning was grey, cold and it was raining heavily so I waited till we got back and then set out. The miles were uninteresting but were a good time for me to process some things I’ve been thinking about lately. They also didn’t feel that difficult, I could have kept going at the end although I gladly ground to a halt and then stood in the kitchen and ate ALL the leftovers from last night’s apple and blueberry crumble. It was utterly fabulous, every mouthful. No guilt. I love running.

IMG_3717
A grey day on the Bay Trail.
IMG_3718
Hello, beautiful!
IMG_5805
Once again, hello beautiful.

Aside from running this weekend, we went down to Palo Alto and to Stanford University. For UK readers, Stanford is one of the top universities in the country. We explored the campus and then went to the Cantor Museum – the on-campus art gallery. It was fantastic, I was blown away by it actually. It had everything – African, Asian, South-American and European art and sculpture, some modern art, some local art and some Rodin sculptures. (Seriously, how much sculpting did Rodin do? Everywhere I go, they have a big collection of Rodin. Was there a Rodin production line??? I’m Rodin-ed out!). I really appreciated how they trusted me to manage my own child instead of hovering over us, giving us dirty looks like in some SF galleries. And I particularly loved the Islamic Art section – a tiny little section with some fantastic pieces that I didn’t expect to love as much as I did. And best of all….the Cantor Museum is free and it has a fantastic cafe. So if you’re Bay Area based, get down there now!

IMG_5788 IMG_5789 IMG_5799 IMG_5778 IMG_5779

And I heard from the running shop this weekend…I’m getting new shoes tomorrow 😉

1. Love your pictures! My weekend was so boring in comparison.

Ha, the run/museum were the ONLY exciting thing we did this weekend, I promise.

3. I run so I can eat dessert too!! Oh and I love the run as well. What a neat find in the museum and as a person who has a background in Art History, it is incredible to me how much work Rodin produced too. He had to have a factory of workers some where. 🙂

I know…I honestly don’t get it. I need to do some delving as to how he did it. Everywhere I go, they have dozens of Rodins.

4. I get so ridiculously excited or new shoes – can’t wait to see!
    Greaaaaaat pictures!
    Also, fantastic run 🙂

They’re SO nice…got them today 🙂

I ran 8 miles on Sunday too! Blog twins! 😉

Hurrah…what next?? If your next post is like MY next post then I’m excited to see what I’ll be cooking this week 😉

Ha! Unfortunately, I’m traveling a lot these days, so I’m not cooking at all. Boo hoo.

I’ve just started again! It’s quite nice actually!!

Sent from my iPhone

So funny. I think anything under ten miles is a ‘shorter’ run. Until I am doing an eight mile or something and then I am like ‘um this is freaking long’. Thanks for the update about the HMBM registration opening. I am going to wait until it is not as far out and see how the Wisconsin marathon goes. I really hope the visa renewal goes well because I can not wait to meet you and your family!

I think it’ll be fine, the visa. I can’t sign up for a race 9 months away either – heaven knows what will happen in the meantime. But my plan is to be there and to have a blogger sleepover that weekend 🙂