Running Resolutions 2013!

Happy New Year! Don’t you love the first few days of the new year? No screw-ups. Nothing blotting your copy-book. All resolutions on track for success. I love that feeling.

This isn’t ground-breaking journalism but I wanted to talk about my resolutions for 2013. I LOVE New Year Resolutions. I love them so much. I always make about 20, trying to seize the moment to improve myself! I’ve already talked about the races I want to run in 2013. I’m sure I won’t run the entire list, I’m sure it will change. But I’ve also set myself some targets for 2013 that I would like to hit.

Running Resolutions

IMG_5520

* 4 Half Marathons inc one trail half.

* PR at the Half Marathon – Under 1.55 (current PR 1.55.34).

This may not look like much of a stretch but I’m a little unconvinced that Healdsburg wasn’t an utter fluke and won’t ever be repeated.

* 10k – Under 53 mins (current PR totally forgotten but something like 58 mins although I now run much faster during training runs).

* 5k – Under 25 mins (current PR also forgotten but something like 29 mins although again, I now run faster).

Update: Wait till tomorrow’s post…2013 started with a new PR at the 5k 🙂

* Do a Relay.  I would LOVE to do one. Fancy doing one with me? So-Cal Ragnar in April? Or Napa Ragnar in September? I’ll be the token slow girl.  Plenty of wine at the end.

* Get some local running friends. Are you local? Fancy being my running friend??

* Do at least 6 trail runs.

—————————-

Non-Running Resolutions

I’m also making several non-running resolutions. Some are personal and not for blogging but others are bloggable. They are:

* Do 6 Yoga classes.         Maybe I’ll be able to touch my toes by the end of 2013.

* Do 6 Zumba classes.     Maybe this is the year I’ll find my groove.

* Try one new recipe every week.    Your recommendations please? Link away.

* Go on a cycling tour of at least four nights away.  We used to do SO much cycle-touring and we loved it so much. And then along came baby. It’s time to bring Touring back!

* Read 6 novels.                          Recommendations please? Good stuff please.

* Watch 6 foreign films.           Recommendations?

* Go camping at least 4 times.  We love camping and we only managed once in 2012.

IMG_9350

Okay…those are my resolutions. What are yours?? Which ones are you most excited about.

1. Those are great goals! No full marathon? Slacker 😉 Just kidding haha.

Ha! No, me and 26.2 are done, thanks! No more. Although I always get tempted when I read other people’s recaps.

Nice list! And good for you for already accomplishing one (the 5K PR)! I’m too chicken to have specific goals, but I know that declaring them is half the battle. My #1 running goal/resolution this year is to run a sub-2 half marathon at Oakland.

I didn’t hit 25 mins yesterday so there’s loads to do (I don’t know how I could have run faster) but it was a good start. Yeah, I think declaring them publicly is a good start. And I LOVE yours. You’ve got it this time. I can smell it 😉 I’m really excited about Oakland.

3. Nic J says:

Hmmm – I definitely need to do more events (obviously Feb is taken care of!). I should work on my times as well – I can def be quicker (a 9.20m this morning proved that) but need to get the endurance to go with it! I don’t think I’ll be working on a half marathon target, but getting a decent 10k time under my belt should be do-able, so I think that’s my resolution for this year. Plus, have a stab at making my own jams/chutneys (onion chutney already done, as an experimental set of Christmas presents, and no-one has died yet), to go along side the home made sloe gin :)…

I think you should try the jam one before February so I can try it out!! Yeah, a good 10k time would be great, wouldn’t it!!

4. I’m obsessed with resolutions too. I find if I write stuff down, it actually happens. And I love that! Your goals are awesome. I love the class goals you threw in. Zumba, now there’s a class I haven’t been to lately. Maybe I’ll add that to my list.

I like writing things down, publicly or privately…and being a bit freaky, I like writing down my progress as I go. I was such a swot at school! I’ve only done one Zumba class but I loved it so much. I really want to do more this year.

5. Madeleine says:

Yes I haven’t been brave enough to stick my neck on the line and put some time goals out there either.. Maybe I’ll see how my training goes and then I might feel a bit braver!
    Happy New Year!

No non-running ones?? Or is the marathon enough? Yeah…the marathon’s enough 🙂

6. My only commitment/resolution so far is to run my first full marathon. I’m all signed up and now the training begins. Last year I chose a word of the year (gratitude) and this year it is “cherish”. I find it pretty cool to figure out how this word can be used in my life. That’s all for my resolutions. Good luck with yours.

I really like the idea of ‘word of the year’..and ‘cherish’ is one of my favourite words. It’s part of the UK wedding ceremony (not sure if the wording is the same here) and it’s the part of the vows I hold most dear!!! And good luck with the marathon, have you chosen one yet??

1. Thanks for visiting my blog. As you discovered I will be running the OKC Marathon. Heading back home to cherish some memories with my family and friends.(I knew I would get that word in there some how. 🙂 ) Happy 2013!

It suddenly occurred to me I could check your blog – sorry, not the brightest sometimes, me!! Hurrah for OKC…hope you cherish the experience 🙂

Love this post! Can I be your long distance running friend!? Count me in for a relay. I will book a plane ticket to get to do one of those things and can be the other token slow runner! I tried zumba this summer. I have no rhythm but they are fun.

You’re ALREADY my long distance running friend. And hurrah – two of us for the relay. Two token slow girls. Now we need some speedsters. I reckon we could lure Yo Momma into running and she would make our average speed much better. 9 more girls needed!

Ahhhhhhh you are so prolific I can’t keep up!!!!!!

Um, Healdsburg was NOT a fluke and you will TOTALLY repeat sub-2:00 at the very least really soon, and I think 1:55 is completely reasonable for a 1 year goal. It will happen!!

Also, I want you to come run with a group of us in GG Park sometime. This happens occasionally & I am always flaking out because I like to sleep in but there are such great people that should get to know you. 🙂

I do write a lot, I know. It’s because I talk a lot too 😉

I think sub-two is do-able again but whether or not 1.55 was a fluke remains to be seen. Thank you for your confidence.

Would LOVE to run with a group of girls – I can’t imagine a better way to spend a morning – alas, sleeping in is no longer an option. Let me know when it happens next. Thanks for the invitation. (And I haven’t forgotten my future track debut either).

9. Brianna says:

Hi Cathryn!

Great Resolutions!! Good luck and I am sure you will meet all your goals in 2013!

I live on the Peninsula as well and would like to meet local runner friends too!

My only 2 running resolutions so far this year are first to finish my first triathlon… I guess that is a swimming and cyclling and resolution too!! And secondly, I would like to break four hours in the marathon. I am thinking that my best shot would be the CIM in Sacramento.

Unless there’s a freak storm, eh?? Drop me a note, let me know where you live and maybe we could meet up and run some time?? I reckon we’re roughly the same speed!