2012 on the run

I’ve seen some of these 2012 wrap-up posts around the internet and really liked the format used by a couple of bloggers, so I’ve nicked it to use it myself.

Best Race Experience

I ran five races this year so not exactly a wealth of experience to choose from. But no matter how many races I ran, I think I’d choose the Healdsburg Half. Primarily because I PR’d beyond my wildest dreams but also because the race was so well organized and such a pleasure to run. And I got to meet the lovely Angela and Jen as well. One of the best days of the year!

IMG_0699

Most inspirational runner/s

I was very much inspired this year by all the running blogs that I read, and the amazing women who write them. I don’t find myself inspired by Olympic athletes – thrilling as they are. They are beyond my reach, I will never be Paula Radcliffe. But bloggers are girls just like me who run, push themselves and get faster. There was a period in the early Autumn when it felt like every blogger was training, doing her big race and PR-ing madly. I found it SO inspirational, I desperately wanted to be one of that gang…and Healdsburg came out of it. So thank you all so much if you’re one of the blogs I read. I have loved reading along and I am a better runner because of you.

Best Run

I think it has to be my first (and currently, only) trail run in November. The utter buzz that I got from it lasted for ages and I still grin madly when I think about it. I can’t wait to run more trails in 2013. Seriously can’t wait.

IMG_1205

Best new piece of gear

I have two. I can’t choose. Firstly, the ProFoot Plantar Fasciitis insole that I got back in March – I had a moderate case of PF and it was stopping me running. I read a review of the insoles on Alyssa’s blog, bought some and have seriously not looked back.

But I also credit getting some running data for the improvement in my running this year – so my iPhone and Nike Plus must share the honours. The iPhone also makes me feel much safer, for which I’m grateful.

IMG_4768

Your running year in a couple of words

Faster than expected.

Best piece of running advice you received

I can’t remember who said it, and it’s probably just common sense so I should have realised it before, but somewhere I read that in order to run faster, you have to practise running faster. And a light dawned. So I started practising running faster…and I am indeed a little faster now than I was at the start of the year. I’m going to practise a little harder in 2013.

IMG_4384

Most exciting running moment

Maybe not ‘exciting’ but my ‘best’ running moment was starting the blog back in May. I think there’s something very special about writing – the blog has focussed me, made me reflect more on my training, has made me more willing to get out of my comfort zone and BE uncomfortable. I have met (either virtually or in real life) some fantastic runner girls and I’ve really loved blogging this year.

And that was 2012. I’m so excited about 2013.

Happy New Year, everyone. See you next year!!

1. Happy New Year! Hope you have a great running year in 2013

Love this and love that running advice. I kind of just figured that out about a month and a half ago. Like oh that is what tempo and speed work is for. Huh. Happy New Year and thanks for being an inspiration to me!

Ditto, thank you Bean!!!! I still don’t get the whole speedwork thing (ie tracks etc) but tempo runs are definitely beneficial for me!!!
      Happy New Year. Really excited about doing HMB with you.

3. Carlo says:

Keep up the great work running and blogging! Following what you’re up to helps me to stay motivated too. I just started my new year off with a nice 5k run round the block. Happy new year!

Nice work, Carlo. Just heading out for my 5k race in an hour or so, really excited about such a healthy, positive start to the NY. And the medal!!!! SO glad my blog is helping keep you motivated too, that makes me so happy. Happy New Year!

Hey, we both started our blogs in the spring this year! That and our shared marathon PR only solidifies our twin-ness. 😉 It’s been a pleasure being blog buddies and meeting IRL at Healdsburg. Looking forward to more races together this year! Happy 2013!!

Hurrah for being blog-twins!! I’m totally up for Lake Chabot Half in Feb as well. Haven’t signed up but it’s a definite. Can’t wait to run with you in 2013!!! x

Yay! OK, then I better start training for Lake Chabot. It’s going to be a doozy!

Ha, had to google ‘doozy’. Is it ‘doozy’ in the positive sense or in the weird sense?

Doozy in the sense that you will question your decision (to race) at several points of the course, but ultimately be happy that you did it. 🙂

5. Nic J says:

I’m not sure that my running has been too major to really write about – certainly nothing sticks in the mind that might fit with your headings, so will have to make some bits up.
    Best race experience – I can’t actually remember doing any races in 2012. So will convert that into a resolution – to do more races.
    Inspirational runners – who to choose from when thinking about the Olympics? Mo and Jess spring to mind. But I also get much joy watching my 2 nephews running – the funniest thing ever, but perhaps I should learn from their ease of movement?…
    Best run – as I have a crap memory I’ll pick this morning. Very quiet on country roads, just enough light from the moon not to need the torch, and a 9.20m first mile. And as I was daydreaming about how lucky we’ve been with wildlife-spotting in 2012 (otters et al), a barn owl flew past me. I’m still smiling now!
    New piece of gear – don’t think it’s new, but am enjoying the ‘Mapmyrun’ app on the phone. Not sure how accurate it is, but gives me the general gist!
    Running year in a few words – Fresh air and freedom!
    Running advice – can’t beat Carpe Diem. I should run much more as a) fresh air is good for you, and b) imagine what it must be like not to be physically able to run. There really are no downsides (esp as my knees are still good!)
    Exciting running moment – see barn owl above. Difficult to beat that really!

LOVE these, Nic!!! You have struck wildlife gold this year, so jealous. And you’re so right about how lucky we are just to be able to run. There’s a guy I run past quite regularly on the bay trail where I run. In his 50s maybe, fit as a fiddle but in a wheelchair and using a hand-crank to turn it into a homemade bicycle. He’s amazing and we always say hi. I reckon he would be an amazing runner if he could move those legs.