One of the bits I like best about a half marathon is doing the soundtrack. Choosing the songs that pump me up, buying some new ones, getting them in JUST the right order and then the little dance-party as I slog along the route.
I’ve had some fun doing the soundtrack for Sunday’s San Francisco half. Here’s my current list below. Again, I’m not cool, I don’t pretend to be cool. There is too much Abba in the list (in the UK, every third song on the radio is legally obliged to be Abba, I MISS my Abba fix in California). There are some Christian songs to remind me of what’s really important. There are several very uncool songs from the Vacation Bible Camp soundtrack because they made me so happy. Then there are my fighter, badass, loud songs which make me feel stronger and push harder. And there’s some totally random stuff in there as well.
The plan for the soundtrack (over thinking it? me?) is to have happy, fun, sing-along music for the first half and then kick-arse, fighting, gutsy music for the second. I’m always up for new running songs, especially those that make you feel gutsy and run fast. Tell me…what are your best running songs? What makes you fight harder?
Cathryn’s San Francisco Half playlist
- Blvd of broken dreams – Green Day Gird-Up-Your-Loins-And-Face-The-Gladiators
- Fly – from Vacation Bible Camp (VBC)
- 9 – 5 – Dolly Parton. Never fails to make me happy
- Gimme Gimme Gimme – Abba
- Barcelona – Freddie Mercury & Monserrat Caballe. An incredible song
- Does your mother know – Abba
- Tequila makes her clothes fall off – Joe Nichols. A smidgeon of country
- Waterloo – Abba
- Abraham’s Daughter – Arcade Fire. To help channel my inner middle-aged Katniss
- Grenade – Bruno Mars For the melodrama!
- Little Talks – Of Monsters and Men
- Our God – VBC
- The Devil went down to Georgia – the Charlie Daniels Band
- Christ arose – jumped-up VBC version
- Allstar – Smashmouth ‘Hey now, you’re an all-star, get your game on, go’
- Senorita – Justin Timberlake
- Rock your body – Justin Timberlake
- Everlasting God – Lincoln Brewster ‘They will run and not grow weary’
- All the things you said – Tatu AWESOME to run to
- Supermassive Black Hole – Muse
- Like I love you – Justin Timberlake
- I stand amazed – Michael Armstrong
- Blessed be your name – Matt Redman
- Lose Yourself – Eminem My all time favourite running song
- Sexyback – Justin Timberlake
- Some nights – Fun Song of the Summer!!
- Disturbia – Rihanna
- Bad Romance – Lady Gaga
- Lose Yourself – Eminem Yes, again please. Two doses.
- Shake it out – Florence and the Machine
- D on’t stop the music – Rihanna. Because if you do, I may not finish.
- Blvd of Broken Dreams Finish strong, Gladiator girl!
2 hours and 7 mins of music! No longer, please!!