A week in my shoes!

My May running goal is 120 miles. I usually manage between 85 – 100 miles so this is a decent step up, primarily triggered by a super SUPER busy June and July and the desire to get some miles in beforehand! This week has been a good effort towards the cause.

Friday: 12 miles long run in 1.54 at 9.30 pace in Half Moon Bay.

Sunday: 4 mile easy run in 37 mins at 9.28 pace on Sawyer Camp Trail

- 12 mile bike ride pulling the Dude in the Weehoo on the same trail.

Pretty!

Pretty!

Monday: 4.2 miles hill repeats in 44 mins at 10.16 pace

Back at Seal Point for hill repeats, which I kind of love. It’s basically a huge hill made of rubbish that has grassed over and become a lovely little park. I ran up and down the north slope five times, then up and down the south slope five times and then up the 50 steps in the middle…twice. Clearly I’d intended to do the steps five times but they killed me so I made do with two. Such a lightweight.

This was my second consecutive Monday where I saw a snake on my run. This week’s reptile was very small and very cute, but EVEN SO!!!

Wednesday: 12 mile long run in 1.50 at 9.06

I had to move this calendar week’s long run forward as we’re going away today and I needed the extra time. I threw in 2 1/2 speedier miles on the flatter section of this run and then paid for them in the hillier second section, but I really enjoyed the run and was happy with it! I’m planning to get up early this morning and do some speedwork to round the week off.

What else?

New Race!  I got a free race bib this week – a friend of a friend can no longer do Rock n Roll San Jose in October, did I want it? Yes please! I would never ‘bandit’ a race that hadn’t been paid for but I don’t have any qualms in this particular situation. It’s the week before Healdsburg which is going to be my goal Autumn half-marathon so I’ll be using it as a tune-up race for that. Really looking forward to seeing what the RnR hype is all about!

New Running Song: You would never come to me for cutting edge music advice. I’m not cool like that. So you can imagine my surprise this week when I discovered this wonderful British singer Jasmine Thompson and her FABULOUS song ‘Run’ and apparently she’s unsigned. So here I am, trend-setter, recommending this song to you!  It’s song is brilliant and made a fantastic running song for my long run on Wednesday!!! Listen HERE.

New Running Book: I downloaded ‘Running like a Girl ‘ by Alexandra Heminsley, a British journalist and writer. I’m not keen on the title, but the book is making me laugh out loud and it’s a great read!

Triathlon Fever:  Tomorrow is the Husband’s first triathlon for 10 years. Thank you to all of you who have wished him luck, he was surprised and quite touched!! We are so excited about cheering him on. He’s cheered me on at so many races, it’ll be lovely to be able to repay the favour a little!

May’s Mileage?  32/120.

Happy Weekend, everyone

18 Responses to A week in my shoes!

1. Nicola Johnson says:

Best of luck Mr R – go for it! And Cat – if you have Internet radio, check out the new pop up station Radio 2 Eurovision…!
    Good running btw! Did 11m on Sunday last and still chuffed!

Aha, I will, thank you! We’re taping it and avoiding social media until we’ve watched it!! So excited.

11m – boomshakalaka!! Fantastic. Are you around for a run when i get home in June? Will email. xx

2. Thanks for sharing the link to the song! That would be a good one to add to my running play list.

3. Susie M says:

Sounds like you’ve made a great start to reaching your May mileage goal. I need to start base building before starting marathon training at the end of this month – maybe a mileage goal is a good way to kick start this.

Love that song, thanks for sharing. Just looked up more of Jasmine’s music and found out her age… woah!

I was also put off that book by the title. Sounds like it is worth a read though.

Have a great weekend at the triathlon!

Great week! I will have to check out that book. Good luck Husband!!!! If the Half Moon Bay half was any indication I think you will do amazing!!!!! Hope there is lots of fun to be had….and a free t-shirt with the purchase of a triathlon:).

Wow, big mileage week! Nice job!

I hate good books with bad titles. I felt that way with “How to be a woman” by Caitlin Moran. It’s hard to recommend it others when it sounds so silly! I’ll have to check out the song AND the book, thanks for the links!

Good luck (again) to the Husband!!

I hate good books with bad titles too. I believe that authors don’t always get to choose the title – I read of an (apparently good) book about exercise, fitness and diet that included the word ‘skinny’ in the title despite the author’s protections. That kind of bugs me. But do check out the song, I’ve got it on repeat in my car. Well alternating with Let It Go, obviously.

6. Whaou ! Nice week ! Good work with the hill training. I am trying to that more too as we are thinking of signing up for a trail half marathon in June.

Also, that is great you had the opportunity to run a RnR race. We hear so much about them, but it is so expensive ! I’ll have to make my mind some day and try to run one.

Have a great week-end :-)

YAY for the trail half. Do it!! It might be super-hot…any foresty trail runs near you? I ran a lovely Redwood Forest half in the summer last year and it was pretty cool (ref temperatures).

I am not keen on RnR races in themselves – too big, too much hype, too expensive, some interesting business decisions etc. But for free, I’m grabbing the opportunity!!

Happy Weekend too…

7. Happy run, bike and swim today! Hope he loves it! The RnR races are fun to me. Kind of pricey, BUT they are pretty consistent in quality. And not to freak you out, but someone told me that the baby snakes have the most venom and are more erratic with biting than the parents. I have been nervous of tiny snakes ever since I heard that. I like to avoid ALL snakes in general!:)

8. MILF Runner says:

Sounds like a great week! Except the snake part.