The day I ‘did a Page’.

If you are a Bay Area blog-reader, you’re likely to know of  Page from Twenty Six and then some. Last year, a few weeks before her Ironman (for which she’d been training for months), she sprained her ankle really badly on a training run and had to drop out. (Ironically, she re-sprained it last weekend and currently has post up about ankle sprains).

You can see where this is going, can’t you!

So there I am on Friday, out for a very easy, sunny 3 miles. I’m about 100 yards from my front door, thinking about the cupcakes I need to ice for the Dude’s birthday party that afternoon when I’m suddenly down on the floor… hands scraped-up, left knee bashed up and agony shooting through my right ankle. I’d stumbled and twisted my ankle pretty badly. I had to sit on the pavement for a good few minutes, breathing through the pain, saying ‘arse’ loudly several times (sorry Mum) and I kind of knew my PR was gone. In fact, just finishing would be a challenge.

Check out the swelling on the right of my right ankle.

Check out the swelling on the right of my right ankle.

On Friday, I was super-excited about Sunday’s race. I was still on a high from Monday’s unofficial 10k PR and confident of running something similar on Sunday. I’d spent the week envisaging the finish line and the new PR and getting excited about it. Let’s review something I wrote in that post:  ‘whilst a PR is hopefully a given’… There’s a fine line between confidence and cockiness and I might have crossed it. I’m not cocky by nature but I probably was a little cocky last week.

I am pretty upset about not being able to race on Sunday. This isn’t a disaster on Page’s scale by any means and I don’t mean to imply it is. This is not a disaster at all – check out the news headlines and let’s get some perspective on how small a deal this is!! But I worked hard, had seen good progress and I was excited about bringing it home, so I am a little sad about not being able to. However,  Monday’s dress-rehearsal was amazing and I actually feel really happy about that unofficial PR. I know I can run a sub-52 10k and at some point, I will do so. I am also really REALLY happy with my training and see that as a victory in itself. So whilst I might not have the official 10k PR I wanted, I  am surprisingly content with the unofficial one.

Normal left ankle. Please note ankle-bone.

Normal left ankle. Please note ankle-bone.
Dude insisted on posing next to my foot.

My right cankle.

My right cankle.

Since Ankle-Gate, I’ve been resting as much as possible (once the Dude’s party was out the way) and my heavily pregnant friend sweetly brought me her medical compression socks which I haven’t taken off. I’m off to the running shop to get KT tape – I’m basically putting all my hope in the things I usually roll my eyes at! It doesn’t hurt much for normal activities, so I still have a smidgen of hope.

I actually don’t know what I’ll do tomorrow. I would like to ‘run’ it, (slowly, carefully) because I get TWO medals at the end, plus a cracking shirt and apparently I am exceptionally motivated by medals. The Husband might run it for me so I can claim the loot. (Apparently I am fine with that).  I am definitely turning up to cheer, to support my friends and to hopefully meet Twitter-pals in real life.  (Did you know I’m on Twitter? I’m @cathrynrunning if you fancy ‘following’ me).

I have no idea what my next post will say. If you’re running tomorrow…GOOD LUCK! In the meantime, I’ll be carb-loading as if I mean business.

We. Are. Sad.

We. Are. Sad.

I'm from Wiltshire, a beautiful rural county in the south of England. My husband, son and I moved to California in August 2010 with my husband's job, whilst I stay at home with The Dude, our gorgeous two year old son. I love running and cycling. I'm a Christian. I am finally learning to cook (about time too). I'm loving exploring this new part of the world and meeting its wonderful people. And oh I need to stop eating cake.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The day I ‘did a Page’.

1. Nicola Johnson says:

Nooooo! Be careful. If you have any strong discomfort/minor pain DO NOT RUN. Better short term annoyingness than risk making it worse and be off your feet even longer. PR another day… x

I know. We’re going to Tahoe next week and Colorado in three weeks, I need to heal. But I do want to do the race. Ugh.

3. Brianna says:

If you are still have any discomfort while walking, please don’t try running . It’s really not worth the risk. When a person tries to “push” through an ankle sprain, they could end up with a chronically painful/unstable ankle.
    I was looking forward to hearing all about your PR at the finish tomorrow, but I would much rather hear about (or read about) many more future PR’s that I know you have in you. Get well soon!

This is a really REALLY sweet comment, thank you. It’s also very annoying because you’re totally right but I want to run anyway. I’m def leaning towards NOT running at the moment, but I’ll be there to cheer you guys on if I don’t run. Good luck!

4. Juli Bronzini says:

Oh my word! It SO did not look that bad last night Cat….. it’s pretty swollen now): Bummer, bummer, bummer. I agree with the above comments though and I know you’re a smart girl. I’m a big fan of ice and a small overdose of Advil and Alleve(: And I’m pretty sure you also deserve some extra cake and wine for your troubles(: You will heal quickly and come back even faster and (PR) hungrier than before!

I agree with Nicola and Brianna — don’t run if you’re still feeling pain while walking. Another test is to balance on one leg (baseline) and then try to do one-legged calf raises. If you feel pain from that, don’t run. If you feel ok, I’d still only recommend jogging at the start and increase your speed only if you feel ok. I know how badly you want to run — I went through something similar back in May, but luckily for that race I was able to downgrade to the 5K… and then it turned out that the 10K course was actually very difficult and I was able to PR at another 10K less than 3 months later. All that to say, your PR will come!! In the meantime, you should def count your “unofficial” 10K from Monday!

Darn you and your calf-raises. They hurt. At present, I’m prob not running (I change my mind every half-hour on average). Sigh.

Hope you’re having so much fun in Taiwan. The food looks fab.

6. Cheryl says:

Dang, that looks PAINFUL! Hope you’re back up and running soon!

I agree the shirts for this race are quite nice (a big upgrade from this year’s SF Marathon…still can’t figure out what they were thinking with those…)

I got my SF shirt out this week, tried it on, sighed and took it off. So sad about that. And I’m not particularly vain about what I wear when I run.

Hopefully I can pick my shirt up tomorrow. They gave them out at the expo (I got my number in the post) so hopefully they’ll give me mine. I’d really like it.

7. All I can say is OUCH! Good luck but don’t make it worse.

8. BT says:

BUMMER!

I agree with all the “don’t run on it if it hurts at all to walk, do calf raises, etc.” advice. The risk-benefit analysis is weighing heavily in favor of the risk.

I will, however, give you some good news. While it’s swollen, it is much less swollen and bruised than E’s sprain/double avulsion fracture: http://bitingtongue.blogspot.com/2013/09/11-year-old-soccer-player-ftw.html — and even though that was horridly painful, required an immobilization boot and brace and tons of PT, he’s expected to be cleared to run in a couple of weeks. So if you properly RICE and take care of yourself and do strength/stabilization work, you should be back in your trainers in much less time than you think and likely able to capitalize on all the fitness improvements without danger.

Oh, I HATE this for you. What horrible timing. Yes, I agree with everyone else — if walking hurts, don’t make it worse, but if you’re able to jog a little pain-free in the morning, run-walking it might be okay.

Hope to see you tomorrow anyway. And you WILL get that PR!!!!

No this is horrible;(. That is one swollen ankle. I hope it heals quickly and you are back on the road in no time. I hear cupcakes help with these kinds of things. I say let Rich run and get you the loot- that seems like a brilliant idea!

• Bean says:

Meant to make this face :( , normal sad face, not weird frowning winky face. That just seems creepy.

That’s what happened…he ran and kept the medals, I got the shirt. Apparently it was the right call as the course had quite a lot of rocky/trail-y ground. Prime ankle-twisting territory. Hope you’re feeling better too.x

11. Pingback: Spectating the Berkeley Half. | My Heart's Content

12. Page says:

Hey there! I hope you healed up well and your title cracks me up ;)

13. Pingback: My 2013 Resolutions – how did I do? | My Heart's Content

14. Kate Crowder says:

YIKES, that looks like it hurt really bad. Did you cry?
    I sprained my ankle last week for the first time…. oh I didn’t realize this is such a old post well I hope you’re ankle healed up and hasn’t given you problems since! Take care.

Hi! I don’t think I cried but it hurt a lot and I was making strange noises! I hope your ankle heals – I kept restraining mine a couple of times in the following months. The only thing that fixed it was taking a month off trails (hiking and running, anything unpaved) and then doing lots of physiotherapy. If you do a search for ankles on my blog there are two posts with exercises that might help. Hope you heal really quickly!!!

• Kate Crowder says:

Uhg seeing those pictures again, it makes me cringe just thinking about it. Mine happened in almost the exact same way our driveway was just in view and I stepped off the curb wrong. I cried like a baby I couldn’t believe how much a sprain hurts. I’ll definitely look up those excercises everyone says once you sprain something it never heals 100%… I do not want to go through this again. Thank you very much! Take care. :-)